Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th April 2022, 01:57

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road
Re: Do 217 Combat Units of WW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Bad news I am afraid:

they (printers) have had an issue with getting the paper for the book, we sent the book weeks ago and they did not tell us until last week. This issue has held the book up, we were expecting it into the warehouse over the next week or so. This delay means that they hope to have it with us for May 24th.
I have bought/waiting for my copy. That is disappointing re. the printing service (a bit odd too, as other publishers seem to be printing to publicised dates). But I'm sure it will be worth the wait...

Ju 188 next?!
Old 12th April 2022, 08:04
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Many other publishers are having problems. Not Ju 188 but Ju 88 day fighter operations and the early development of the Ju 88 as a fighter
Old 12th April 2022, 08:13

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Many other publishers are having problems.

In France Aerojournal put out an editorial explaining that the magazine is now printed on re-cycled (matte) paper since it was proving virtually impossible to get hold of the usual glossy quality material...
Old 12th April 2022, 08:34
Alter Hase

….and the drop in quality is obvious
Old 12th May 2022, 12:26
Alter Hase

Latest update today:

Unfortunately the printers who have the job ran out of paper due to extreme paper shortages at the moment, they did not tell us until we were expecting the books into the warehouse as they probably knew if we were aware of the situation we would have gone elsewhere. The books are confirmed to be in our warehouse on May 24th, it can take a day or so for the books to start going out depending on what time the delivery comes in.

Sorry again for this but the situation was out of our hands unfortunately, this is a bit of a crisis for all printers right now which is why publishers are facing price increases for paper of 60%. I hope things start to turn around but it doesn’t look likely just yet.
Old 12th May 2022, 13:26

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Thanks Chris. Not sure what that means exactly A 'limited' print run will be available from May 24th...or no books at all ?
Old 12th May 2022, 20:56

Tomas Prusa is on a distinguished road

maybe its right time to start selling ebooks - no problems with printig companies, paper sortage, higher prices etc.
Old 12th May 2022, 21:15
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

My company publishes fiction books. In the U.S., there is a paper shortage but that does not mean no paper. The various printers we work with have paper allotments sent to them. Sometimes,

a paper mill closes, further complicating the situation. We were able to find a new printer that gave us the smaller part of the total print run we requested in less time than average, at least for now.

That was a few weeks ago. The remainder of the books will arrive tomorrow, I just learned. Two weeks ahead of the initial estimate.

As I understand it, the situation in Europe is similar. On the other hand, we were able to get reprints of some titles when we needed them because the orders were put in months ago.

Best,
Ed
Old 12th May 2022, 21:20
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Prusa View Post
maybe its right time to start selling ebooks - no problems with printig companies, paper sortage, higher prices etc.
In the U.S., paper book sales have increased. I have no desire to buy an ebook. Most people I talk to prefer a paper book.

The issue for publishers is this: $20.00 for a printed book or $2.98 for an ebook. What do those involved, from writers to artists to graphic designers, get paid?

Best,
Ed
Old 13th May 2022, 15:30
Alter Hase

Paper book every time for me