Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2007, 18:26

Paul E. is on a distinguished road
Stalag Luft IV 7 Stalag IIIa question

I'm looking for information concerning a teacher of mine who was a POW in Germany at the end of WWII. He was a gunner on a B17, a NCO. The NARA POW data base lits him in the N. African theatre,

He was shot down over Yugoslavia in the summer of 1944. Captured by Serbians and imprisoned in Bydapest, moved by rail to a camp "near Stettin" (Stalag Luft IV?). The POW data base says he was in "Stalag Luft IV Gross-Tychow (formerly Heydekrug) Pomerania, Prussia (moved to Wobbelin Bei Lustwigslust) (To Usedom Bei Savenmunde) 54-16").

He was forced to march "300 Miles (or km?) to "another camp South of Berlin" (Stalag IIIA?) He said he was "in Stalag Luft IIIA". He was in the camp on his birthda, Mar 7th, '44. I'd like to clear up my confusion about where he was & when. Also more details about the march and his unit if possible.

Paul
Old 7th April 2007, 23:44

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: Stalag Luft IV 7 Stalag IIIa question

Paul,

Is this the same question as the one you posted in February?

Please see http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=7667

Have you read Nichol's book....

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 8th April 2007, 17:19

Yes, it is essentially the same. I seem to go around and around without making much headway. I just reread you suggestion and found it woth checking out if I can find the book.

Thanks again for the lead.

Do you know of the ArmyAirForces.com forum? You may find it of interest in researching this and other WWII air combat issues.

Paul
Old 8th April 2007, 19:00

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Paul,

Glad to have been of help.

Visited the ArmyAirForces.com forum, very interesting. Also found my way to the http://wiki.armyairforces.com/Main_Page - this was interesting as I have one started associated with the Luftwaffedata site (http://www.wiki.luftwaffedata.co.uk/....php/Main_Page. Coincidentally both Wikis are using the same mediawiki software!

Back to your post - I do not have the book to hand but will post the publishers details later. In the mean time I'll check and see what additional information exists in the book.

When you last posted I was reading the Nichol's book and had reached the chapter about the long march.

Andy Mitchell

Old 8th April 2007, 20:01

Paul,

As promised.

"The last Escape - The untold story of Allied prisoners of war in germany 1944-45" John Nichol and Tony Rennell

Published 2002 in Hardback by Viking and 2003 in Paperback by Penguin Books. (in USA probably Published by Penguin / Putnam Inc. New York).

As a point of interest John Nichol flew Tornados during the 1st Gulf War and was shot down by the Iraqis and became a POW (along with John Peters?).

Andy Mitchell

Old 8th April 2007, 20:55

Andy,

I just ordered The Last Escape from Amazon.com. I was advised by someone on armyairforces.com forum about a book published in 1944 Titled Barb Wire Interlude, written by Robert W. Ludden, about Stalag Luft IV. Apparently it has a list of prisoners that differs from the NARA POW database and may prove useful.

Regards, paul
Old 9th April 2007, 03:29

Andy,

I see from your luftwaffe.co site that you are a grateful Dead fan. I'm an artist and my friend, classmate and room mate in 1959 - 60 at the Philadelphia College of Art was Alton Kelly, known by all as simply "Kelly" You may know this name in relation to Kelly-Mouse Studios, creators of many Dead album covers and artwork for the Bay Area music scene in the 60s and 70s. Kelly and his partner, Stan Mouse, also did posters, covers etc. for Three Dog Night, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Wings - McCartney etc. post Beatles which you surely know - and many more. They also had a tee shirt production company called the Monster Company.

I thought you might find this of interest.

Paul
Old 9th April 2007, 09:02

Paul,

Very interesting, many thanks - a strange connection.....

Yes, for my sins a "Deadhead"....and also a NRPS fan as well!

Some of those Kelly-Mouse covers and posters are amazing - there are several sites out there displaying their work.

Andy Mitchell