Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th May 2005, 02:48
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Question Oblt. Gúnther Hannak

Hello,

I asked this question , without success some time ago.

Here goes again

Oblt. Gúnther Hannak (7/JG27) made an emergency landing at Luqa on the 5th May 1943.
I have read that this aircraft "GP+12" was not his usual aircraft but was a stand in as his own was under repair.

Can anyone provide details of his usual aircraft , such as markings, number or even werk Nr ? Photo of it would be great.

Can anyone say for sure if he was flying "GP+12" on the 12th April '43 or his usual aircraft or yet another aircraft that day ?

Thanks in advance.

night

Alex
Old 25th May 2005, 07:22

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road
Re: Oblt. Gúnther Hannak

small correction: It was the "GP + IZ".
Old 25th May 2005, 07:41
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alex,

I think that usually Staffel CO`s mount - white 1 - was flown by 7/JG27 by ordinary pilots - e.g. Lt.Hans Halbey (January 1943) , Unf. Theo Heckmann (June 1943). The last know to me STAKA`s mount in this Staffel was white 11 flown by E.Braune in Russia 1941. Of course that was in 1941 and you try to track down an a/c in 1943 so it`s only my assumption.

Regards

Robert
Old 25th May 2005, 14:18
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Not 'GP+12' but with SKZ "GP+IZ'. This was evidently a new machine to the unit that had not had normal number code applied. To my knowledge this is the only documented machine with Hannak as pilot.
Old 25th May 2005, 14:36
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Bf 109G-6, 18046,HANNAK, Oblt. Gunther, 7./JG 27, GP+IZ, Unusual camoflage scheme. Code letters under the wings. White spinner, wingtips and rear fuselage band. 'I' outlined on fuselage stripe.POW after engine damage during Aufklarungseinsatz. Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #10)-Vol.17; Prien/Rodeike/Stemmer, III. & IV./JG 27, p. 326; Obermaier p129; Flypast #127, p.42 foto.

Old 25th May 2005, 21:21
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Oblt. Gúnther Hannak's Bf109's

Hello Raz, Ron, Jim and John,

Thank you all for your help.

Had hoped that the details of the 'plane he was in on the 12th of April 43 might just have come to light. Anyone ???

But there is a bright side to this thread, I did look in the Flypast magazine mentioned and there was "GP+IZ" he flew on the 5th May 43 taken from the port side.

I had seen this a/c photographed proped up on drums and trestles , but taken from the starboard side.

Now how about this ?

The "1" ( as noted ) shown on the white tail band is not a "1" but an "I" from the "GP+IZ", the letter shown on the starboard side in the same place is the letter "P".

There do not look to be any other markings on the aft fuselage other than these two letters and balkenKreuz .

The "Z" looks to be outlined with white (or white tape) on the underside of the wing cannot see detail of under the starboard side of wing.

Any ideas as to the colour these codes would have been, as those on the fuselage do not look as dark in the photos as the "Z" under the wing ???

Thanks again

Still hopeing for the Bf109 of his for the 12th April 43.

Alex