Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th July 2009, 20:30
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road
Sütterlin writing

Hi all,

The writing on the back of this pictures says "Feldflugplatz ??? Flakbeschossene Ju 88"

I think it's says Malacki or something like that. Can anyone make out the name of this aerodrome? And what are the 2 words at the bottom of the picture?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rudi.

Last edited by RudiS; 27th September 2009 at 18:48.
Old 8th July 2009, 20:46

pilot05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sütterlin writing

Hello.

Yes, it seems to be Malacky, 50 km N of Bratislava. There was a "Flugplatz".

The words on the bottom could be the same, perhaps there was a spelling-error in the first word, so that the word was written a 2nd time.

Could be v / L Coder v/L Conder
or L Condor??

PS: It's not Sütterlin

Regards
Old 9th July 2009, 00:29
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

A Ju 88 shot up by AA fire photographed at Malacky. I'm guessing it made an emergency landing because I cannot immediately think of any Ju 88 units that were ever based there. Malacky was usually a base for ground attack aircraft, such as Ju 87s and Fw 190s. Training units used it from 1941 to 1943, and then active ground attack and fighter units used it after August 1944.

Malacky (e. Malacky) - Slovakia (35 km NNW Bratislava); Flh.; (also as: Malacky-Siroka).

Old 9th July 2009, 08:50
Alter Hase

Thanks Pilot05 & Larry for your inputs. Very much appreciated.

The picture itself is of a He 111 of 5./KG 54 dating somewhere between Dec 1939 & Jun 1940.

Radtke also published this picture in his book stating that the plane came back from a mission from France, while this picture seems to suggest a much earlier time frame.

Radtke's caption would imply that this picture is probably taken at Varrelbusch, Gütersloh or another north german airfield.

The caption on this picture places the aircraft in Slovakia.

Looking at the strange shape of the aircraft hangar, does anybody recognises the airfield?

Kind regards,
Rudi.

Last edited by RudiS; 27th September 2009 at 18:48.
Old 12th July 2009, 12:13

Wybe Buising

have a check with the Sutterlin alphabet in the attachment.

reg
wijbe
Old 15th July 2009, 14:11
Alter Hase

Thanks Wijbe.

Kind regards,
Rudi.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:41

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
A Ju 88 shot up by AA fire photographed at Malacky. I'm guessing it made an emergency landing because I cannot immediately think of any Ju 88 units that were ever based there. Malacky was usually a base for ground attack aircraft, such as Ju 87s and Fw 190s. Training units used it from 1941 to 1943, and then active ground attack and fighter units used it after August 1944.

Malacky (e. Malacky) - Slovakia (35 km NNW Bratislava); Flh.; (also as: Malacky-Siroka).

Malacky was a training and sharp shooting range. ZG 76 was based there, and also KG schools...So there were Ju 88s...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 15th July 2009, 18:28
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Peter K.: You know what would be great? An on-line directory of every one of the thousands of airfields used by the Luftwaffe during the 1935-45 years, preferably set up like this example:

Abbeville-Drucat (Le Plessiel) NE France (airfield 3.7 km N of the city) (50 08 39 N – 01 49 53 E).
Classification, Description and Remarks: Fliegerhorst (principally fighters). In existence since 1922 for civil use with runway extended in 1936 for military purposes. The Luftwaffe expanded Drucat and by 1942 there were 3 runways, the longest being 1600m x 50m, and numerous hangars, buildings and revetments. Bombed and strafed frequently between July 1942 to May 1944, with the raid of 19 August 1942 by 22 B-17s possibly being the most costly in casualties (4 men from the station command KIA).
Station Units: Fl.H.Kdtr. E 16/VI (1940-44); Fl.H.Kdtr. E(v) 227/XI (1944).
Air Units: II./ZG 76 (06.40 – 09.40); Stab, II., III./JG 26 (c.11.40 – 01.43); II./JG 2 (1941-42).

I actually got started on such a project about 12 years ago, but I soon realized that it would take a lifetime to complete. To do the project, one would need the 26,000 pages of the microfilmed British Air Ministry A.I.2.(b) airfields collection and be able to go through every book ever written about the Luftwaffe, plus review all the surviving Luftwaffe documentation at BA-MA or on microfilm. It would be a marvelous production and aid for the researcher, but would have to be installed on a web site because it would be far too lengthy to try and publish.

I certainly do not expect anyone to volunteer because of the huge time and cost requirements, but it would sure be a worthy project. Some might ask, "Why not finish off what you started?" Answer: I'm 71 and do not have enough time left. It would take a younger guy or perhaps a team of them many years to work their way through the mass of material.

Larry