Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th May 2013, 23:36
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Need Help identifying several 3./JG76 a/c FL during the Western Campaign of 1940

Hello,

For profiling purposes, I'm trying to identify four Bf109Es from 3./JG76 (later 6./JG54) that force-landed or crash-landed during the WC of 1940, probably either in France or Belgium.

All have appeared in eBay auctions, and some have had general locations suggested, some clearly wrong. Who really knows the specific dates, locations, and, hopefully, specific pilots of any of these a/c? We have the information we need on Lt. Dieter Zehl, who force-landed and overturned Yellow 2 on 15 May 1940.

1) Yellow 3+ E-1 that FL in good condition in open farmland; standard 1940 camouflage

2) Yellow 4+ Probably E-1 that FL in good condition in open farmland; standard 1940 camouflage

3) Yellow 9+ FL in good condition in deep grass; non-standard light gray or green camouflage with one white victory tab on the rudder

4) Yellow 14+ E-3 that crashed into a a wooded thicket, with location claimed as near Verdun (France).

Who can help?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 7th May 2013, 01:17
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Need Help identifying several 3./JG76 a/c FL during the Western Campaign of 1940

Hello,

Regarding my post on this subject, we currently carry a/c Y3+ in the EoE DB as:

"May 14, 1940: 3./JG76 Messerschmitt Bf109E-3. Believed shot down by F/O E. J. Kain of No. 73 Squadron in combat south-west of Neufchâteau and crashed at Pouru-St-Remy, east of Sedan (France), 11.45 a.m. FF Fw Willi Lohrer badly wounded, evacuated to hospital in Jamoigne where died of wounds 16 May. Aircraft 100% write-off."

Can anyone verify the accuracy of this information? The condition of the a/c doesn't suggest a fatally wounded pilot, but that doesn't preclude this being the case.

Regards,

Larry Hickey'
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 7th May 2013, 01:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Need Help identifying several 3./JG76 a/c FL during the Western Campaign of 1940

Hello,

Another loss entry that possibly relates to one of this a/c is:

"June 10, 1940: I./JG76 Messerschmitt Bf109E-3. Damaged by P/O Gibson of No.501 Squadron in combat near Le Havre and belly-landed on return to Conteville. Pilot unhurt. Aircraft 70% damaged - write-off."

The only one that appears to be written off is Y14+ which lies in thick brush and trees with its back broken. It was an E-3. Does anyone have any further information that would support this identity and/or can provide the name of a pilot?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 7th May 2013, 11:56

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

JG 76 lost also a few Bf 109 before the 10. Mai 1940 in the aera of Trier, as the Pilots where unable to find the Airfield Wengerohr. The countryside here looks like at Northern France!!!!
Old 7th May 2013, 18:36
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hans,

Do you have any information or photos on dates, places, pilots, etc. concerning this subject?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 7th May 2013, 23:29

Pieter H is on a distinguished road

Larry,

On the Yellow 3+ I agree with the conclusion of May 14. But the fight was almost certainly not with No. 73 Sqn but with Blochs of GC I/8 over Sedan (12.30 p.m.).

On the Ebay picture of the Yellow 14 I have is literally written "Abgestürztes Jagdflugzeug bei Verdun, 10-6-40", so that seems to confirm that date too.

Regards, Pieter
Old 8th May 2013, 05:48
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Pieter,

Thanx for your response. I'm sure that Peter C. will take a look at your analysis of the "Yellow 3" loss. My main concern about the attribution of this loss is that it is listed as an E-3 in LW records, and the 3 photos that I have of it clearly indicate that it was an E-1. This isn't a deal breaker, however, due to the large number of errors in the LW reporting.

I was aware of the June 10, 1940, caption with one of the many photos that a have appeared on eBay of "Yellow 14." I think that this is probably an accurate identification of this loss. I want to do a color profile of this a/c for the EoE book project, but badly need a W.Nr. and pilot for this a/c, probably a long shot in both cases.

Can anyone be of further assistance with the other two, "Yellow 4" and "Yellow 9," either of which could have happened prior to the WC. However, "Y4" is a field with what looks like fairly high grass or a growing crop, indicating to me that it mostly likely would date to around May, 1940. The trees in the background of Y9 appear to be fully leafed out, so this is probably at least by April, 1940.

Can anyone else be of help with my questions?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 8th May 2013, 10:56
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...ighlight=JG+76
as reminder?

Regards, Franck.