Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd March 2005, 22:49

Geoff Kennell
Luftwaffe burials in the U.K.

Does anyone have the names of Luftwaffe aircrew buried in the U.K. outside of Cannock Chase, in other words, who are still buried in their original graves - or is there a website with this information?

Once I've got the names, I can use the German war graves website to find the location. I know that 'The Blitz, then & now' & 'The Battle of Britain then & now' (both of which I have) have information on some of the Luftwaffe aircrew not buried at Cannock Chase.

I know that Maidstone (15), Margate (18), Deal (3), Hawkinge, Chichester and Brookwood have Luftwaffe burials, but there must be others.

The reason that I ask is that over the summer I would like to visit the graves of as many of those Luftwaffe aircrew still buried in the south east U.K. as I can.

Geoff.
Old 24th March 2005, 09:46

Jon
Re: Luftwaffe burials in the U.K.

Hi Geoff.
You like me are a member of the Battle of Britain Society and as you know we now have almost all our RAF Battle of Britain graves tended by the members.
Your question has hit on what i have been thinking for some time now, that we should perhaps look to also offering the same care to Luftwaffe Graves from the Battle of Britain period and compiling a list of non Cannock Chase German graves.
I have posted this question on the Battle of Britain Society board...but what are your thoughts?

I visited RAF Scampton a few months back and in the church yard, their are several Luftwaffe graves along with many RAF bomber command graves. All the Luftwaffe are Night Fighter crews shot down in the region, all perfectly tended and along with our men they all had a single poppy on each grave.

Regards
Jon
Old 24th March 2005, 11:39

Geoff Kennell

Hi Jon,

Apart from being a member of the BoBHS, I'm also a volunteer with The Shoreham Aircraft Museum (near Sevenoaks, Kent). There we honour the RAF and Luftwaffe aircrews equally.

I certainly have no problem with the society also looking after Luftwaffe graves from the Battle of Britain period, although I would imagine that there is less need for this than with the RAF aircrew's graves. The former will all be within CWGC plots, and/or looked after by the CWGC, the latter are often buried in private graves, which are not looked after by the CWGC, and therefore do require someone to look after them if the family can no longer do so.

By the way, our museum opens for the 2005 season on Easter Sunday (27th March) and will then be open every Sunday, 10am to 5pm, until the end of September. See our website at www.shoreham-aircraft-museum.co.uk.

Geoff.
Old 24th March 2005, 11:43

Linzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kennell
Does anyone have the names of Luftwaffe aircrew buried in the U.K. outside of Cannock Chase, in other words, who are still buried in their original graves - or is there a website with this information?

Once I've got the names, I can use the German war graves website to find the location. I know that 'The Blitz, then & now' & 'The Battle of Britain then & now' (both of which I have) have information on some of the Luftwaffe aircrew not buried at Cannock Chase.

I know that Maidstone (15), Margate (18), Deal (3), Hawkinge, Chichester and Brookwood have Luftwaffe burials, but there must be others.

The reason that I ask is that over the summer I would like to visit the graves of as many of those Luftwaffe aircrew still buried in the south east U.K. as I can.

Geoff.
Hi Geoff,

There are a number of German graves in the CWGC part of Dyce Old Churchyard near Aberdeen (not very near SE UK I know!). When I spoke to the local Registrar of Deaths for that area some time ago he indicated that many of the Germans who were originally buried here in the UK were reburied in Germany after the war. I didn't follow that up so I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

I would imagine that the CWGC are responsible for the care and maintenance of graves in the cemeteries that you mentioned, and certainly the ones at Dyce Old Churchyard are in a special area that contains only CWGC graves. Perhaps you could send them an e-mail and ask if they have the info to hand?

Regards
Linzee
Old 24th March 2005, 12:04

Linzee

Geoff, in addition to my post above.

Some 'Googling' produced very interesting results. Try typing "German wargraves in UK" into a search engine such as 'Google'.

It would appear that the info I was given by the Register of Deaths re Germans being returned to Germany after the war was slightly off the mark. What appears to have happend is that in the 1960's the German authorities decided that all German graves in the UK were to be concentrated at one site, Cannock Chase. They chose Cannock Chase because of its similarity to Lüneburg Heath on the North German Plain.

Cheers
Linzee
Old 24th March 2005, 12:19

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

one grave of note at Hawkinge, since there are few Knights Cross holders buried in the UK
..Hauptmann Hans Karl Mayer, Gruppenkommandeur (JG53) ..posted missing on 17 October 1940 over the Channel...body washed up at Folkestone on 27 October 1940...you can still view the original entry in the Register of Deaths..(with incorrectly spelt surname..)

Last edited by FalkeEins; 24th March 2005 at 12:26.
Old 24th March 2005, 12:21
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

If you joing the airforcedeaths yahoo group you can get access to a series of files that relate to non Commonwealth deaths where the gravesite is cared for by the CWGC

You will have to join Yahoo groups first

e,.g (small sample) from the German list (also
American
Belgian
Danish
Dutch
French
Greek
Israeli
Italian
Philippino
Swiss
Turkish
Yugoslav

Small sample

12.8.40 55565-14 Fritz Budig. Gosport (Ann’s Hill) Cemetery, Hampshire. Plot 188 Grave 32.

12.8.40 60014-3 Friedrich Butterwick. Hawkinge Cemetery, Kent, England. Plot O Grave 15.

See:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airforcedeaths
Old 24th March 2005, 12:37

Geoff Kennell

Thanks to all who have replied, especially Paul.

The Yahoo group sounds exactly what I'm looking for. My application to join has been sent off, though I had a little trouble getting my reason to join under 200 characters. I'll just have to hope my application is approved.

Geoff.
Old 24th March 2005, 14:40
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Geoff,

A couple of pieces of information concerning Luftwaffe burials in the UK. Liensberger, Gr, Kdr. of V.(Z)/LG 1 was exhumed post-war and re-interred in the family plot in Austria. Secondly, one Erpr. Gr. 210 pilot is still buried in a field.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 24th March 2005, 16:28

Joe Potter

Hi All,

A complete list of all German Nationals buried in CWGC plots in various Cemeteries and Churchyards in the UK is available from the CWGC, (I have a copy) the only problem with it is that some airmen are listed as soldiers, and vice versa, it is 153 pages long, if I can be be of any help, just ask.
Regards
Joe