Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th May 2010, 17:16
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: The Eagles Over Europe (EOE) Project

Andrzej,

We are planning on one massive volume on the PC. This will be the format book for the entire EOE series. We're still involved in massive research on this project, and are still in the middle of collecting and translating both German and Polish-language sources into English. Much, much progress, but we're still quite a ways from publication. If you have any information or photos you would like to contribute to this project, please contact me by PM Board.

Regards,
Old 9th May 2010, 01:19

crolick is on a distinguished road

Larry - thanks for the info.

As for the contribution to the EOE volume on the PC - I've tried twice to do that (that is contact via PM) but received no response.
If you are interested in the cooperation just drop me an email (you can find it on my webpage or contact page on this Forum)

Cheers,
Andrzej
Old 11th May 2010, 15:50

Del Davis is on a distinguished road

Larry
Can you please update us as to the status of your Eagles over the Pacific books. A few months ago you seemed on the verge of publication but nothing new has appeared. A "Sticky" on the Allied board would be nice
Old 8th September 2010, 17:41
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi Larry, hows the EOE Project progressing, are you any nearer to a publication date yet for the first installment?
Can you give us an update, time permitting.

Best regs,
Steve.
Old 24th September 2010, 07:02

Flying_pencil is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: The Eagles Over Europe (EOE) Project

Hello Mr. Hickey,

A truly incredible project, I cannot commend you enough.
I myself am working on a very focused project, and if something of use for you comes along I will provide.

Just some comments.
You need to start earlier then Sept 1, 1939.
At least a complete listing of all air forces of each side, OrBat, equipment, etc.
You need to also consider the Spanish Civil War. Much of what happened there had profound influence on the coming world war.

I realize both mean extra work, but the prolong helps to understand the main event.

Good luck!
Old 7th October 2010, 20:41
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: The Eagles Over Europe (EOE) Project Update

Hello,

In response to a number of requests from readers of this board, I'm taking this opportunity to provide a comprehensive update on the status of the "Eagles over Europe" Project.

This past 18-months or so have been very challenging for me. I've survived a major crises as a result of being diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer on one of my salivary glands, which was life-threatening. This resulted in full regime of surgery, radiation and chemo treatments which have resulted in being recently given a clean bill of health from my doctors. I've also implemented a strict weight loss and exercise program that combined with beating the cancer, I feel have prospectively added another 15-20 years to my life that I otherwise wouldn't have had. My family has also had to recently deal with the tragic loss of my mother to cancer, cleaning out the family home, getting it onto the market, and moving my 88-year old dad to an assisted living facility near my home.

During the past several years, my primary focus has had to be on bringing a number of long-pending WW II Southwest Pacific American bomber unit histories to completion. During the past three years, two of them have been published, and three more, comprising four volumes, are very close to publication. Although not Luftwaffe related, these can be reviewed, if interested, at http://www.airwar-worldwar2.com/, the website for my company, International Historical Research Associates.

Now on to an update of the EOE Project. A project of the magnitude and scope of the EOE Project has a long lead time to acquire the information and photography, while moving forward with planning and executing the maps and artwork. No final decisions have been made for the authorship of the various volumes, but a number of top researchers and historians are likely to be involved as authors, co-authors and associate authors on the various projects once the necessary research has been completed. It is obvious to me that none of the seven primary volumes will have a single author. While I have been busy dealing with the projects and problems related above, the EOE Working Group, which numbers about 40 people at present in 13 countries, has focused their efforts in the following eight main areas:

a) Creating a massive all-source data base (DB) of every Axis and Allied a/c loss or damage and crew casualty for the entire project period, excluding only training losses. Peter Cornwell, one of our WG members, has now completed our comprehensive Luftwaffe loss DB which contains many thousands of entries, with a major effort made to assess causes of loss, damage or casualty, and attribute these to specific combat events and pilots on the other side. Readers of this forum will be well familiar with Peter's work, as he has generously shared many items from this revised DB in answer to questions here. Most of you are probably also familiar with his previously published work for the "After the Battle" publisher on this subject. Peter's revised and updated EOE DB now takes all this previously published material, re-evalutates it, fills in all the gaps, including air ops over Germany, and updates all of his previous work on the subject from every possible source available. There is still a great need to pinpoint the exact crash sites for many Luftwaffe losses during the Western Campaign of May-June, 1940, and this is probably the area where the greatest amount of work can still be done, much of it through aviation archaeology that is ongoing in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Photography is also making important contributions to this effort.

We've also completed a similar data base on the Polish Air Force for 9.39, and are now working on a parallel DB for all British aircraft losses/damages for the EOE period, including Bomber Command and Coastal Command. Again, this is based upon Peter's previous work but greatly expanded and updated. Peter has recently already done similar data bases on the Dutch and Belgian AF, as well as the French AF, although the latter still probably needs a lot of work. All of these DB are undergoing constant revision, and probably will be forever. I want to encourage anyone who believes that they have located new and/or updated material on any aircraft loss incident during the 1939-40 period to contact me or Peter Cornwell so that this can be evaluated for inclusion into this definitive data base.

b) Collecting and identifying all known photos of the aircraft of all sides involved in the air war during the period in question and assembling these into a massive searchable DB that presently numbers about 30,000 images. A further 10-15,000 images are awaiting processing and coding for inclusion in this DB. This includes images from the major public collections on the subject in the US and Europe, as well as a vast amount of private material from individual collections and a variety of other sources, including eBay.

c) Acquiring all relevant literature sources in English, German, Polish, French, Norwegian and Dutch on the subject. We’ve been successful in acquiring a huge volume of material during this search process, including acquiring the full rights to the two Luftwaffe historical manuscripts and all of the supporting research material compiled by the late Heinrich Weiss, which alone comprises some 50,000+ pages, of which about 5,000 pages are his own manuscripts.

d) Identifying and acquiring copies of, and transcribing the approximately 500 logbooks that we think presently exist of German airmen that flew operational sorties during this period, including maritime, reconnaissance and transport units. We've now acquired copies of about half of these, including many of the most important, and are steadily getting them transcribed for inclusion in our research data base. These logbooks have been an important source of information for Peter's work on the Luftwaffe loss DB, and will go a long way towards filling in missing information on Luftwaffe combat missions flown during the WC and the Battle of Britain, many of which are not well documented through other sources and otherwise surviving Luftwaffe records. This is another area where a great deal of further assistance from the research community would be helpful. If you have any logbooks (Flugbuch) that you think we might not know about, or for which you have a copy and would be willing to share it with the project, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you. This applies to the logbooks of Allied pilots and aircrew men as well.

e) Identifying and acquiring all surviving KTBs (Unit War Diaries) from the 1939-40 period. Although we've acquired a substantial amount of material in this area, we've got major work yet to do. If anyone has copies of any such documents that they would be willing to share with us, this would be greatly appreciated. Again, contact me if you can help.

f) Mapping. One of our British WG members has done a magnificent series of maps for us of about 20 major days during the Battle of Britain. These will serve as the basis for our mapping part of the project. We are still trying to formulate exactly how to most effectively portray visually on maps the various major combat events, but the work of this renowned illustrator has helped us go a long way in defining how these might look.

g) Artwork. Although we've done our research for the cover painting for the first volume of the series, and held some preliminary discussions with artists on the massive amount of color aircraft profile work to be done, no final decisions have been made in this respect.

h) Translating non-English languages sources into English. This is an area that is a huge challenge for us. We've had excellent support from a number of volunteers who have helped us with German, Polish, French and Dutch-language materials, but there is a vast amount yet to do and any assistance from anyone with good dual language translation skills and the time to work on this would be appreciated. If you've contacted me before about helping with this, and haven't heard back, please contact me again.

We've now completed translating into English probably 2000 or more pages of Polish-language materials, everything from major books, to individual accounts and combat reports. A very large amount of additional material has been summarized or excerpted into highly detailed individual narratives on each Polish air unit that fought during the 1939 campaign.

Several very important sources in French have been translated into English by one of our key volunteers in Belgium, and Dutch WG members have also translated a lot of material for us into English.

Our main, but not exclusive effort on the German side has been to translate the 1939-1940 parts of the manuscripts of the late Heinrich Weiss, who did not write on the Polish Campaign, but focused instead on Luftwaffe operations in the west during 1939-41. We've completed about 2000 typewritten pages or more of translations on his work and are making steady progress on this. The Weiss material, though very valuable and state of the art for its time, is dated and will require a lot of corrections and revisions before being able to serve as the basic outline underlying our research on the Luftwaffe side of the story for the period of the EOE Project.

So that gives a pretty good idea of what's been going on during the past couple of years. Huge progress, but a great deal of effort yet to go just to acquire and translate the materials necessary for a project of this scope and complexity.

The first volume, on the Polish Campaign, will probably not be published for at least a couple of years yet. This will serve as the prototype book for the series and I don't intend to rush this to press before I'm sure that we've achieved our goal of the definitive history of the subject, with all the appropriate photos, appendices, artwork and maps. The second volume, on the so-called Phony War and the Scandinavian Campaign will likely follow about a year after that. In the meantime, a great deal of work will be and is proceeding on the Western Campaign and the Battle of Britain, to the end of 1940, which will hopefully result in about a book a year thereafter.

At the moment, my personal message box is full, so wait a while to allow me to have time to clear it off before sending me any PM. And thanks to all of you who have helped with this and will help with this project in future. The EOE research team has contributed thousands of hours of work to this project and they are making a huge effort to do this important project justice. Many of them are among the top researchers in their respective fields, and we will all owe them a great debt of gratitude for their efforts as these volumes are published.

Regards,
Old 7th October 2010, 21:27

David Ransome

Hi Larry,

I'm glad that you are well, especially after such traumatic events - and thanks for the detailed update. It would have taken me a few months just to type that amount of text!

I look forward to being of any further assistance to the project and truly appreciate the efforts made by yourself and the rest of the team.

Kind regards,

David
Old 9th October 2010, 00:59
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

David,

Thanks for your kind comments. I've appreciated your valued assistance, and very much look forward to continuing to work with you.

Some have asked me why I don't list the other members of the EOE Working Group on this forum. I'd prefer to let them make the decision on whether they wish to be known publicly. However, a great many of them are members or contributors to this forum. I'd also like everyone to know that even a single piece of info or a single useful photo is appreciated. You don't have to be one of the heavy-hitters in the field to participate or contribute to the EOE Project.

I'd also like to note to those who have been telling me, that I've now cleaned off enough space on my Private Message in-box, to receive more incoming PM.

Regards,
Old 12th October 2010, 00:55

Jan vd Heuvel is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

thanks for the update.

I must agree that the starting point for your EOE project must be earlier.

Truly, the Second World War officially started on September 1, 1939, but what preluded this was important for the further events in that War.

At least you should make a "prelude chapter" to the book(s).

The Spanish Cicil War was of importants to test the capabilities of the various German aircraft and the fighter pilots and undoubtly also the other German aircrews and pilots gained very important experience that was invaluable in the upcoming battles.

Many of the German fighter pilots were already experienced in earial combat and that influenced the upcoming aerial battles immencely.

The combat testing of the German aircraft in the Spanish Civil War was also of importance.

And the Occupation of the Czech Country was also important for the Germans. They captured a large arsenal of aircraft, including very many training aircraft that immensely helped in training the German airmen, also for the upcoming battles.

I know that this will put more strain in producing your (momumental) book project, but it is important for understanding how the following war events eveloped.

Btw, I have very many photo's of Czech aircraft used by the Germans to include in this prelude.

But after all, it's your choice and I know that you will have to make a decision from where your project starts.

Kind Regards,
Jan
Old 12th October 2010, 01:22
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Jan and others.

I fully agree with your comments. There will be an extensive prelude and scene-setting for the book in the first and each succeeding volume, including the development of airpower between the wars in each country involved. We don't just begin on Sept. 1, 1939, but put the war and pre-war aviation and air force developments in their contexts. We aren't, however, going to cover day-to-day operations for the periods and events prior to that date like we're planning to do after that date. The pre-war chapter (s) will include a great deal of pre-war photography.

And thanks for your help with both this, and your important contribution to one of the "Eagles over the Pacific," books through the great photo album that you've supplied.

Regards,