Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th October 2007, 17:37
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Rapide G-ACPY lost 3 June 1941

Hi guys

I have read that Rapide G-ACPY was shot down by German fighters off the Scilly isles on 3 June 1941. Any truth in this? Any details?

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th October 2007, 18:12
dora9forever

Re: Rapide G-ACPY lost 3 June 1941

HI. BRI.

from what i heard was friendly fire, but i heard that story .
did you know that there were at least 6 other civi planes all shot down off prestwick.around 41 43.i guess by some yanks.and RAF. "bizarre?
GARY
Old 13th October 2007, 18:39
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Apparently shot down by a He-111 according
www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/leq/hist.htm describing the history of Land's End Airport.
Services between the Scillies and Land's End were suspended until 27 Oct 41
when some contact with a radar station was established to confirm that no enemy aircraft were around.

Regards,

Leendert
Brugge/Belgium
Old 13th October 2007, 18:57
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information.

Gary, what can you tell me about civil aircraft losses off Prestwick, or where can I find this information?

Cheers
Brian
Old 13th October 2007, 21:17

brewerjerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi guys

I have read that Rapide G-ACPY was shot down by German fighters off the Scilly isles on 3 June 1941. Any truth in this? Any details?

Cheers
Brian
Hi
there was an article sometime back ( air pictorial ?) or aviation news that had info and photos on the a/c.
The opinion was it was shot down by a luftwaffe a/c, ( can't recall which type ) and that due to the visual conditions it would have been difficult to indentify the civilian markings.
cheers
jerry
Old 14th October 2007, 07:13
dora9forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks for the information.

Gary, what can you tell me about civil aircraft losses off Prestwick, or where can I find this information?

Cheers
Brian
HI. bri
the site was in my favs kept but lost im after it right now.over 300 .
it lists civi and RAF planes in the NW england , there were at least 8 civi same type of aircraft shot down by RAF and USA pilots??? in 5 months periods, some in one month,
also a US flown p40 from specke to prestwick he went missing. in 42!
if i find the site ill pass it on .
GARY
ps still lookin..sorry

Last edited by dora9forever; 15th October 2007 at 01:07.
Old 14th October 2007, 21:17
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Brian
there was an article in an AE on loss of a Rapide off Scilly Islands years ago with colour profile etc

Juha
Old 14th October 2007, 21:31
dora9forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
Brian
there was an article in an AE on loss of a Rapide off Scilly Islands years ago with colour profile etc

Juha
thanks again for info.
Gary
Old 15th October 2007, 01:01
dora9forever

this is just a review from a book i did own regarding a beufighter. in scotland, that was to be tested out.
in 1942 a pilot was to test a beu out but felt unwell, well a other pilot test flyer came down from the tower and said whats up. the pilot said he was to take that beu up but was not well , the other pilot said ok ill do it.......tea can wait.
then he put on his gear then started up the plane then went, later on 3 to 4 hours past the pilots were a bit concerned by him not arriving, they looked on the hangers top to see if any fires were seen nothin" THAT WAS THE LAST ANYBODY HEARD FROM HIM EVER AGAIN, his push bike was still there were he parked it.when leaving. he was never seen again ,
well it was near the coast..
Gary
Old 15th October 2007, 20:34
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Brian

First of all G-ACPY was NOT a Rapide, but a DH 84 Dragon c/n 6076. According to John Hamlin and the book The de Havilland Dragon/Rapide family the aeroplane was shot down by the Luftwaffe, probably a Ju 88, on June 3rd 1941. Registered owner was Great Western & Southern Airlines Ltd, Land's End. Operating a service between Scilly Isles (St Mary's) and Land's End (St Just), pilot Capt W D Anderson and five pax were killled. The aircraft was cancelled from the British civil register on June 11th the same year.

Cheers
Stig