Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th February 2008, 01:20

Polizei is on a distinguished road
JG26 Siegfried Sy

Hi Guys
In Donald Caldwell's excellent book " JG26 -Top Guns of The Luftwaffe ", he makes reference of a memoir that Lt. Siegfried Sy wrote. I did a search on Abebooks and Bookfinder couldn't find any reference to it. Does anyone know if one was done or how it's listed?

Thanks, Rick.
Old 6th February 2008, 04:00

WEISNER is on a distinguished road
Re: JG26 Siegfried Sy

Greetings Rick! I know of no book written by Cy, however wanted to know if you can let us know which page of the book Caldwell mentions this? Most likely a report or such that he refers to? The Sources section of his book makes no mention of the reference, So I wonder if you can point us to the page where it is mentioned?
Horrido!
Kevin
Old 6th February 2008, 10:22

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Hi Rick

Try bookfinder again:

http://www.bookfinder.com/

put in 'Caldwell D' in the author section and '26' in the title.

Also this title comes up reasonably freqeuntly on eBay, if you're prepared to wait ( a bit )

Chris
Old 8th February 2008, 01:00

Hi Kevin,
Go to page 372 of JG26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe. About middle of the page, second paragraph is where there is mention of it. My copy is a 1st edition 1991.

Regards, Rick.
Old 8th February 2008, 19:08

Don Caldwell

Siegfried Sy never published his memoir. He wrote it for his family (who didn't care) and gave me a partial copy shortly before he died in the '80s. The original would be worth a fortune to the collector crowd today, but I'm sure it was destroyed by his family.

Horrido!

Don Caldwell
Old 9th February 2008, 03:55

Very sad Mr. Caldwell, Sad the memoir will never be seen or read in it's complete form!
The JG 26 books you spent so much time researching, And have shared with us are Top Shelf! Perhaps in a future work you will share the piece of the memoir you have? Thank's for stepping in and solving this for us.
Kevin

Last edited by WEISNER; 9th February 2008 at 08:20.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:30

Mr. Caldwell thank you for your help.
Regards, Rick.
Old 10th February 2008, 18:45

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Caldwell View Post
Siegfried Sy never published his memoir. He wrote it for his family (who didn't care) and gave me a partial copy shortly before he died in the '80s. The original would be worth a fortune to the collector crowd today, but I'm sure it was destroyed by his family.

Horrido!

Don Caldwell
Don:

Agreed that it stinks that Sy's memoirs will never see the light of day in it's entirety; you say his family 'didn't care' about it---I was wondering if you got the impression they held his work & war experiences in contempt or that they really were indifferent to it;

NM
Old 11th February 2008, 00:04

Indifferent or not! It is too bad the family could not see the importance of these type of "For Family only" Memoir's.... A perfect example of this would be the Invaluable work written for his family by.... Peter Spoden! Enemy in the Dark.
Oh well...Perhaps if Mr. Caldwell has a portion of this it may yet see the light of day?
I have always thought Mr. Caldwell could probably fill an entire book with all the pilot first hand accounts He has collected over the years! I will be in the very long line to buy such a book if ever put together.
A chronicle by JG, NJG etc and starting at wars beginning till end, With first hand accounts only, would be a top selling book in my opinion, What do you members think?
Kevin
Old 11th February 2008, 00:09

And if such a book is ever done, Photos should be left out! So as more pages of first hand stories could be included! A collaboration with other Authors accounts on hand, Could easily fill a book or two!
We have all seen the photos that are out there, The pilot combat stories would be enough for me!
K<+~