Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th August 2019, 03:49

Mission-Impossible is on a distinguished road
Re: Flying BF-109E's through a train tunnel.

He had the squadron insignia and an ID number....

He showed them to me.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:26

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

I understand you already drive in a tunnel, but did you already flew an airplane? If you have, you would understand why it was such non-sense. I doubt your guy even did for throwing such fairy tale. Maybe he was a ground crew with 7./JG 26.
Old 12th August 2019, 16:17
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission-Impossible View Post
He had the squadron insignia and an ID number....

He showed them to me.
Too bad you don't have a photograph of it. Is there any possibility that what you saw was not a unit emblem but rather the Gothic letter A, B, AB or O indicating his blood type? Try looking up those Gothic letters and see if any of them look familiar:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...hs-pty_weather

L.
Old 12th August 2019, 18:02
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I have seen a photo of Fw 190s being assembled in an unused train tunnel. The dimensions of which preclude fitting a flying aircraft.
Old 12th August 2019, 21:08

Andy Fletcher

Well the Millennium Falcon could fly through tunnels in asteroids. Did your workmate have a big hairy friend?

Alas just like Star Wars the story sounds like fantasy.
Old 12th August 2019, 21:17
Alter Hase

Yes, I think some people post for amusement.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:29

Yeah I think it was his blood group and ID number... but this is long ago... I think I also saw the heart shaped insignia of his squadron - it was all done in the same blackish ink... He would have been 60-ish or very early 60's, so taking taking 40 years or so from ~1982 would have made him around 20 to early 20's, when he was flying...

I want a suitable plane of my own choosing, and a train tunnel, and some time and resources, to practice, and I will fly it through a train tunnel.

If you have the desire to express this opinion, I'd be willing to assume that you also have the money to fund the venture, as well as the expertise to go with it.

If not.....

I saw his tattoo's for perhaps 30 seconds. He pulled down his overalls - the top half, and rolled up the sleeve to his short and showed me them. Now at the time, I was not having to expect to recall every detail precisely some 40 years later... So my gut feeling is that in terms of practicality and legibility, that the tattooist would be using a "military" type font, meaning no fancy flourishing - and as easy to read as possible - as quickly as possible - even when skin damage has occurred. Not sure of the exact font type, but legibility and ease of reading, take precedence, kind of like the US military font. I am not saying the Germans used "A Font" - and the tattooist had a heap of people too tattoo, and they have their own style, so it would have had to have been neat hand drawn lettering, in a very legible font style....

https://www.tlai.com/med_des/amusaf.html
Old 13th August 2019, 14:28

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Australians

After the Second World War, Australia received a large influx of ethnic German displaced persons who were a significant proportion of Australia's post war immigrants. A number of German scientists were recruited soon after the War through the ESTEA scheme some of them coming by migrant ships such as the Partizanka.[11][12] In the 1950s and 1960s, German immigration continued under assisted migration programs promoted by the Australian Government. By July 2000, Germany was the fifth most common birthplace for settler arrivals in Australia after United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy and New Zealand.[4] By 1991, there were 112,000 German-born persons in Australia.

Partizanka:

11. Homeyer, Uta v. (1994). "The Employment of Scientific and Technical Enemy Aliens (Estea) Scheme in Australia: A Reparation for World War Ii?". Prometheus. 12: 77–93. doi:10.1080/08109029408629379.

12. Muenstermann, Ingrid (30 May 2015). Some Personal Stories of German Immigration to Australia since 1945. Xlibris Corporation. ISBN 9781503503137.[self-published source]

Josef Landherr - Danube-Swabians (area of Unified Germany) - That could be him... Landherr he felt was too Germanic, and he told me he changed it to Landthorpe (or similar)

Google; "Josef Landherr" messerschmitt

This is turning up results.

My OLD computer is running out of capacity at the moment... so the PDF's are taking ages to download and open....

[PDF]
Türkheimer Heimatblätter

https://kreativ-design-wg.de/th-hb/.../heft_95_2016.pdf
Translate this page
Aug 1, 2016 - Rechner: Josef Landherr. 27.10.1933: Generalversammlung des .... Staffel des JG 3 Udet eine Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 ein. Infolge eines*...

Last edited by Mission-Impossible; 13th August 2019 at 16:17.
Old 13th August 2019, 18:30
Alter Hase

What does this have to do with your claim? No aircraft flying through train tunnels - let's finish with that.
Old 13th August 2019, 22:38

Well this ""Josef Landherr" messerschmitt"" came up with this:

[PDF]
Türkheimer Heimatblätter

https://kreativ-design-wg.de/th-hb/.../heft_95_2016.pdf
Translate this page
Aug 1, 2016 - Rechner: Josef Landherr. 27.10.1933: Generalversammlung des .... Staffel des JG 3 Udet eine Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 ein. Infolge eines*...

https://kreativ-design-wg.de/th-hb/pdf/heft_95_2016.pdf

A paragraph heading.

Türkheim im Dritten Reich
Hier sollen die Zeitungsüberschriften, Türkheim betreffend, vom letzten Heimatblatt fortgesetzt werden. Auch in Türkheim wurden die Vereine gleichgeschaltet. Trotzdem hat man den Eindruck, dass das Vereinsleben in Türkheim seinen gewöhnlichen Gang ging

TWO sentences, that refer to "Josef Landherr"

23.10.1933: Generalversammlung des Darlehenskassenvereins. Rechner: Josef Landherr

3.11.1933: Generalversammlung des Turnvereins. Vorsitzender: Karl Sing, Schriftführer: Willi Rösch, Kassier: Josef Landherr. Der Verein hat 146 Mitglieder.

Now my German language skills are good enough to thread my way through a document or conversation - by picking out keywords, with a broader understanding of history, people, events, etc.... so I can follow the general issue and direction. With this however, I will have to look up more words to fill in a more complete understanding. But what I can pick out is that in 3.11.1933 - (assumption = not clear) that Josef Landherr was in the Hitler Youth - making him early to mid teens in 1933, and he was training in a 146 Glider. I could be wrong... but this is my skim read.

The Germanic language structure is more absolute, and there are many words with which I am not familiar or sure enough to claim a degree of certainty about in their meaning.

So I am going to go and manually translate - followed up by machine translation, and see (more) exactly what it ALL means.

When I am done, I will repost it in English.