Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd October 2018, 14:34

GeorgiuDaniel is on a distinguished road
Re: Airfields of the Luftwaffe

I found a mistake on http://www.ww2.dk Hungary airfields. Hungary (now Romania)
Besztercze (HUN / ROM) (474 ​​35 N - 24 34 25 E) is actually a reference to Budak (HUN / ROM) airfield (aka Budak de Jos, Szászbudak)
Both references are identical. SE 8.5 km from Bistrita is Budus (It is part of the Lower Budacul) and to the aerodrome are exactly 8.5 km. The grass surface measuring approx. 2560 x 760 meters is actually the size of the old Budak airfield.

I support and have evidence. In the 40s, the Hungarian aviation used as emerging landing (the foundations of the two hangars were still visible) and used East to West landing. Between 26 August and 11 October 1944, the Luftwaffe aviation used the SE side of the airfield, the entire clearing of the forest for the camouflage and the repairs of the airplanes.
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:04

GeorgiuDaniel is on a distinguished road

About Luftwaffe Budak airfield 26.8.1944 - 11.10.1944 ( Hungary now Romania).
Old 18th March 2019, 11:20

sidney is on a distinguished road

Gross Betschkerek, or Hungarian: Nagybecskerek, or Ecka airbase, Zrenjanin, Banat, Vojvodina, Yugoslavia.

A friend of mine who developed a particular interest in this airbase bought two photos showing some Ju 52 wrecks with code 4V+.. Apparently taken by a Red Army cameraman when they entered the area, which would be in autumn 1944. These are attached.

Could someone please review and possibly confirm that these photos were indeed taken there, and which unit the Ju 52s with the said code belonged.

Source: Photos are in private collection, I understand.

Regards,
Sinisa
Old 18th March 2019, 12:42

Dan History is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Gross Betschkerek, or Hungarian: Nagybecskerek, or Ecka airbase, Zrenjanin, Banat, Vojvodina, Yugoslavia.

A friend of mine who developed a particular interest in this airbase bought two photos showing some Ju 52 wrecks with code 4V+.. Apparently taken by a Red Army cameraman when they entered the area, which would be in autumn 1944. These are attached.
Sinisa, code 4V+... was used by Transportgeschwader 3. Of the Gruppen of this unit, III./TG 3 operated in the southern sector of the Eastern front in late 1944. This could be a candidate for the unit to which the aircraft belonged, but if you are unsure of the dating, these could also relate to the fighting for the Korsun (Cherkassy) pocket in February 1944. III./TG 3 was involved in that operation, as noted by Larry de Zeng on this forum in 2014 - http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=39877

Kind regards,

Dan
Old 18th March 2019, 15:42

Dan,

Thank you for your exhaustive reply to my query above. Much appreciated. There is nothing certain about the above two photos, to summarize:

a. My friend thinks, or rather feels, that the photo may have been taken at Nagybecskerek (I presume in autumn 1944).

b. Dénes Bernád confirmed on FB page entitled Luftwaffe Fliegerhorste 1933-1945 that he had seen the above photos before, albeit labelled as being taken in Romania.

c. You suggested that these photos may even have at the Korsun (Cherkassy) pocket in February 1944.

d. The participants generally agree that the Ju 52s belonged to (III./)TG 3.

The friend of mine will send me the name of the Soviet photographer, for ready reference.

In short, it is undecided, but some progress has been made.

Best Regards,
Sinisa
Old 18th March 2019, 22:24

The Red Army photographer was Yevgeny Ananevich Khadel. Liberation of southeast Europe, WW2, Eastern Front.
Old 19th March 2019, 11:43

Dan History is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Dan,

Thank you for your exhaustive reply to my query above. Much appreciated. There is nothing certain about the above two photos, to summarize:
You are welcome, Sinisa.

Now that you we know the photographer's name, things could become easier. Yevgeny Anan'evich Khaldei (Евгений Ананьевич Халдей) was the most famous Soviet photographer during the war - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Khaldei His photos are in official Soviet collections inherited by modern Russia, so it should be possible to contact the holders of these collections and ask for details of the location where the image was taken. That may be difficult without local knowledge, of course.

Kind regards,

Dan
Old 21st July 2019, 14:41

Bjoris is on a distinguished road

There was also an airport in the municipality of Hingene (province of Antwerp, Belgium).

The airfield was already built in 1939 by the Belgian army as an alternate airfield. This was an action of the Belgian government on the increasing threat of neighbouring Germany. On November 11, 1939, the airfield was operational. In January 1940 it was mapped by a German spy plane.

On 13 May 1940 the airfield was bombed by German planes. On May 16 the airfield was evacuated.

On 20 May 1940 aircraft of type Fieseler Storch Fi 156 circled above the airfield where they would land after a while. The first attacking Luftwaffe unit, which would be housed at the Hingene-Wintam airfield, was the II. Kampgeschwader zur besondere Verwendung 1 (II.KGzbV.1).

The German code name for Hingene was "Käseglocke". Hingene fell under the Luftgau Belgien/Nord-Frankreich. In German official documents, Hingene is described as Flugplatzgelände. Usually they spoke of Flugplatz Hingene. The number for the post (Feldpost Luft) was F.P.L.37419. Hingene fell under the Luftgaupost Brüssel.

The General Commander of Flugplatz Hingene was Major Schalcke.
Present staffeln at Hingene:
5. Staffel/II.KGzbV.1
6. Staffel/II.KGzbV.1
7. Staffel/II.KGzbV.1 with Leutnant/Oberleutnant Franz Lankenau
8. Staffel/II.KGzbV.1
(Does anyone have the scale signs of these groups?)

In the second half of 1940 Organisation Todt came to Hingene to strongly expand the airfield. There were 46 airplane pits built, FLAK-racks placed, barracks and sheds and even a village (with church) was copied in wood.

The airport would remain operational until March 1943. Afterwards it was handed over to the Wehrmacht.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Old 21st July 2019, 20:46
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Bjoris:

Thank you very much for your contribution.

L.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:57

Courtois Laurent is on a distinguished road

Hüttenfelde (1938 to 1946) german name Budupönen (54,9263406 ; 22,266305) now hamlet of the municipality of Malomozhaïsckoe (Malomojaïsckoe).
4 km to the east of Altenkirch (1938-1946) before Budwethen now Malomoschaïsckoe (german tansliteration).

Last edited by Courtois Laurent; 21st August 2019 at 19:02.