Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th October 2018, 15:06

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Re: Do 17 P KB+TA

Hello!

A colleague sent some clippings from Tallinn Fluko own flight diary. Thanks to him example of Do 17 KB+TA recording below. This is different document from the 7. Iv.K diary and have not researched it personally

For comparison there is also AGr 127 Ar 95 code 6R+KL showing how R was written.

The KB+TA photo IMO shows NJG 100 or NJG 200 Ju 88 night fighter on the background. Which also points to early 1944 in Baltics (Latvia, Estonia).
Anyone knows more of this BA-MA 724/149/15 photo?

Cheers,
Kari

PS That Bücker code looks like R (gloss paint) with something dark between "legs" making it look like B. A friend pointed this out to me and I agree. The photo showing whole plane does not prove either B or R.

Last edited by Kari Lumppio; 18th October 2018 at 20:32.
Old 18th October 2018, 22:04

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

Hi Kari
Post 21 - Thanks yet again for your searches into your archives. Do you know what the date is for this clear recording of KB+TA - another piece of the many jigsaws relating to this particular Do17.
I agree with your opinion of the 2nd Bu131 photo giving the 2nd letter as uncertain but the 1st does show the 2nd letter to be a B - so the dual Stkz paradox is still there and the many references both written and photos seems to point this out. Perhaps a better picture of the Do17 might give a more clearer answer to the conundrum. Watch this space!
Old 19th October 2018, 13:12
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Hate to say it but it looks like XB+TA when scanned at high def.....

Last edited by Chris Goss; 14th January 2019 at 15:12.
Old 19th October 2018, 14:35
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Hate to say it but it looks like XB+TA when scanned at high def.....
That's how I filed it from the beginning....

Cheers
Stig
Old 19th October 2018, 14:51
Alter Hase

...which could reinforce the X8+TA argument....
Old 19th October 2018, 16:48

Sorry to rain on your parade gentlemen but I thought that boat had left the harbor from the beginning. High def... or not the angles at the centre of the rear fuselage just after the wing-root are quite severe distorting the letters aft from left to right, making the K look like an X but if you look carefully at the 2nd letter it has a straight edge on the left side making it a B or as I said because of the 'fuzzy' area at the bottom an R. No way could this be given as an 8. But because it is fuzzy could be a B as stated in the documents kindly donated by Kari.
Old 19th October 2018, 16:52
Alter Hase

No rain just food for thought! Shows how difficult things can be............
Old 19th October 2018, 17:09

I know welcome to Luftwaffe research but you should know that better than me. As it stands the one photo we have and the many different document references all seem to point to it being KB+TA and the dates that we do have all seem to indicate a Stkz paradox with the Bu131 with the same KB+TA. I hate to say it but if it looks like a duck and all that then it appears that we are heading that way. Perhaps the elusive 2nd photo can make the duck quack!
Old 19th October 2018, 18:58

gogh is on a distinguished road

The emblem on the tail is that of according K&R 831 of a Fliegerkorps.

and an brainwave
The painter made an error. Painted an K painted instead of an X due to mis reading.
??
Old 19th October 2018, 19:16

debowa is on a distinguished road

We have a better res of this photo so after a bit of Photoshop trickery with the levels I'd say it's definitely a K at the start as the top left and bottom right strokes do not line up, even taking into account the distorton of the fuselage. It looks pretty clear that the lower right stroke of the K only touches the top right stroke and not the other two.
As a matter of interest, the Ju88 in the background appears to have the third and fourth letters of XT or KT, no idea if that helps!

Attachment 17216

Attachment 17217