Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th October 2018, 21:20
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Werner Langemann - 16 March 1944

Hello

The above pilot was said to have been serving as acting Gruppenkommandeur of III./ZG 76 when he was shot down and wounded in aerial combat on 16 March 1944. Is the usual loss list information known about this incident? Many thanks in advance.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 15th December 2020, 15:28

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: Werner Langemann - 16 March 1944

I do not list Langermann as wounded or shot down on March 16, 1944. There were few crews, that had damaged its plane in combat but were unhurt. Possibly Langermans case, as he claimed one victory one HSS and one e.V... He was wounded on April 14, 1944 so possibly after March 16 was still in function ....

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 18th December 2020, 02:10
Alter Hase

Hello Peter

Many thanks for that information! It might explain why I was able to find nothing on that claim... are there any details known regarding the 14 April 1944 incident? I have not been able to uncover anything about the events of that day. The only detailed incident I have is when he was shot down and taken prisoner on 14 July 1944.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 18th December 2020, 09:15

Leo, your post opened an question
I noticed that I list Hermann LANGEMANN as GKdr III. and later acting GrKdr of I./ZG 76 n 1944, and Werner LANGERMANN for III./ZG 76 in 1944. However it seems that the right person as a GrKdr is HErmann Langemann and Werner Langermann is a typo as no other info can be foud about him. For neither the incident from 14.4.1944 is not recorded. What is your source for this date? I have it with remark to check this, although have it as well noticed. Possibly comes from some memories of airmen... official losses does not mentions him, neither any action on that day.

Old 19th December 2020, 02:50
Alter Hase

Hello Peter

I have come to the conclusion that Hermann Langemann and Werner Langemann are the same person. Hauptmann Hermann Langemann, Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 11, states in his interrogation report that he was at Rechlin with Jabo training and also Gruppenkommandeur of I./SG 2. He was also in North Africa and served with II./SG 101 from July 1943 until appointed acting Gruppenkommandeur of III./ZG 76 in March 1944. He mentions being shot down and wounded in aerial combat on 16 March 1944 before transferred as acting Gruppenkommandeur to I./ZG 76. He was then transferred to I./JG 11 where he was shot down in aerial combat with four Spitfire fighters and captured. Interestingly, he claims to have been awarded the Ehrenpokal and recorded eight victories (three Fortresses, two Beaufighters, one Spitfire, one Typhoon and one Airacobra). Taking into account the possible deliberate errors it seems that these details have been confused with two different individuals. I hope this helps.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 19th December 2020, 12:17

Hi Leo,

Sure this helps. I was also of the same suspicion...Is the report you mention available for sharing to me? please? The wound on 16.3.1944 had to be a minor one...and was possibly not reported. But it can be added to the DB I create for ZG 76. Thanks

Peter