Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th April 2007, 09:26

Dominik is on a distinguished road
Jettisoning canopy of Spitfire - possible or not.

This is technical question.

According to Spitfire manual (Pilot's Notes) of Mka IX, XI and XVI it was possible to jettison the canopy with the help of red (???) rubber ball (knob- as written in Pilot's Notes). In similar brochure, about Mks I/II, the similar statement occurs.
In 'Spitfire - The History" by Morgan and Shaklady I've found information about jettisoning the canopy, this ball (althoug only the Malcom Hood)
Yet there is a voice that makes me a bit conused. During a disscusion about Spitfire, which takes place in samll Polish 2nd World War Forum, my "oponent" has presented the Steven Graham's opinion that only Mk. VI had a jettison canopy.
What is your opinion about this?

Regards

Dominik

PS. Has anyone contact with Peter Caygill?
Old 17th April 2007, 09:49
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Jettisoning canopy of Spitfire - possible or not.

The Mk.VI was the exception, but because it did not have a jettison capability - the pilot was bolted in to ensure the integrity of the pressure cabin.
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:23

Dominik is on a distinguished road

According to Pilot Notes, each Spitfire with Malcolm Hood had such red rubber ball, which allowed pilot jettison canopy. A few weeks ago I found one photo in the Aero Detail book about Spitfires. This photo shows a Spitfire in museum and it has such ball. I belive it's the second part - Spitfire IX-XVI but I'm not completely sure.
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:13
dora9forever

Smile Re: Jettisoning canopy of Spitfire - possible or not.

didnt douglas bader, jettison his hood,.when he bailed out, in 41"
food for thought,
gary...
Old 4th June 2007, 18:34

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

If my recent pre-flight briefing is to be believed (and yes, that definitely constitutes 'shooting a line'), yanking the toggle simply releases the hood catch and 'the slipstream does the rest'.
Old 4th June 2007, 19:22
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 5th June 2007, 02:56
dora9forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
According to Pilot Notes, each Spitfire with Malcolm Hood had such red rubber ball, which allowed pilot jettison canopy. A few weeks ago I found one photo in the Aero Detail book about Spitfires. This photo shows a Spitfire in museum and it has such ball. I belive it's the second part - Spitfire IX-XVI but I'm not completely sure.
hi. they did have side panels that could be pushed out when bailin out,on there cockpits,covers, sides "this was to help. with airflow, ,
gary,
Old 14th June 2007, 20:38

PeterA

Both the high back and low back canopies can be jettisoned in the true sense.

The rubber ball is attached to two wires that pass through small formed aluminium conduits down to a relay system rod that effectively pins the canopy to the four sliders. Pull the ball, release the pins, push out with the elbows, possibly having released the top catch in the case of the high back, and away it goes.

PeterA
Old 16th June 2007, 08:03
dora9forever

or if all eles fails strighten your back muclces put both feet on the stick then push you wont notice the hood,a well known pilots say,
gary