Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th January 2016, 19:04

Joshua is on a distinguished road
Leaflet Dropping during Battle of France

This is my first post - so a very good evening to everybody. I'm wondering if anybody has an answer to a question concerning the Luftwaffe during the Battle of France. How did they drop the propaganda leaflets that gave British and French troops 'their true situation'? Were they dropped by bombers, fighters, reconnaissance aircraft or all three? And more particularly, were they dropped by hand, through flare chutes, using leaflet dispensers, or some other way? I have been unable to find any information about the precise method, and would be grateful for any leads. 1940 copies of Der Adler are quiet on the subject.
Old 16th January 2016, 01:35
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Leaflet Dropping during Battle of France

It would take some time to find more leads but here are a few.

"A British WWII Ministry of Home Security booklet entitled Air Raid Precautions Training Bulletin No. 4 mentions German leaflet balloons and parachutes.

"A section entitled "Pamphlet-dropping Balloons" describes a leaflet carton with a clockwork mechanism. The leaflets are placed on all four sides of the mechanism. At a predetermined time a small bag of flash powder releases the leaflets.

"A similar British booklet entitled Objects dropped from the Air mentions two types of German leaflet carrying balloons; one khaki, one silver. A leaflet carrying box is slung underneath. The box is the same as the cardboard carton mentioned above."

"The Germans dropped leaflets by means of parachutes during WWII. The bundles were secured by a simple wire device which was broken open by a small explosive charge. The diameter is approximately 24 inches, and if stretched out from top to bottom the parachute is about 33 inches long."

Ed
Old 16th January 2016, 04:30
Alter Hase

This book, in German, may prove helpful. I've provided a translation version of the original page.

https://translate.google.com/transla...5X&prev=search

Best,
Ed
Old 16th January 2016, 09:16

Joshua is on a distinguished road

That's hugely helpful, thank you very much Edwest. I'll get hold of the book: it promises to provide answers to my questions.
Old 16th January 2016, 23:31
Alter Hase

You're welcome and welcome to the forums.

Best,
Ed