Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th May 2019, 15:48

Simon Schatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dornier Do 335 11/15 at Oberpfaffenhofen - My book project

Hello again!
Eggert, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the enlightenment regarding “Serie/Zelle”. It sounds plausible for an aircraft company that builds hundreds of the same aircraft. A series would have consisted of an indefinite number of “Zellen” that later were assigned with Werknummern.

So I could imagine to see markings like “Serie 11”, “Zelle 01”, “Zelle 02”, “Zelle 03”,… (11/01, 11/02, 11/03….)
At the Do335 you will not find a single marking starting with the same number. So I think your theses that maybe fits for Junkers can’t get used in that case.

At Oberpfaffenhofen unfinished planes with five different tail markings were found.

- some with double tail markings with one-digit number, as 1/3, 2/1 and at least two more
- at least one with double tail marking with one-digit number and two-digit number (x/xx)
- some with double tail markings but with two-digit numbers, as 11/15, 12/16, …
- some with the last three digits of the Werknummer, as 119, 121, 122
- some without any tail markings, seen on single seater and double seater

Next to those planes with these markings, finished components with handwritten numbers are known, as vertical tail 114, starboard horizontal tail 125, flaps with 159 and 161, upper vertical tail 163, bottom vertical tail 175.
Most probably these handwritten numbers were the last digts of the W.Nr. and should get added to the associated planes. But it’s quite possible that these parts were used were ever they were needed.
That’s the reason I think that the numbers 163 and 175 can be found on the tail of Do 335 16/20.

Same thing with the data plate that was found on the wing of Do 335 1/3. Most probably this part fitted together with the rest of the plane, but it’s also possible that the wing was used, simply because it was available.

Without an official document, this part of the history of the Do 335 can’t get solved.

But maybe someday.

Cheers,
Old 9th May 2019, 20:37
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hello Simon,

Not knowing what documents or books you own makes it difficult to provide help. Are you aware of the following?

http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/arc...rnierwerke.htm
Old 9th May 2019, 22:00
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Schatz View Post
Hello again!
Eggert, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the enlightenment regarding “Serie/Zelle”. It sounds plausible for an aircraft company that builds hundreds of the same aircraft. A series would have consisted of an indefinite number of “Zellen” that later were assigned with Werknummern.
So I could imagine to see markings like “Serie 11”, “Zelle 01”, “Zelle 02”, “Zelle 03”,… (11/01, 11/02, 11/03….)
At the Do335 you will not find a single marking starting with the same number. So I think your theses that maybe fits for Junkers can’t get used in that case.
At Oberpfaffenhofen unfinished planes with five different tail markings were found.
- some with double tail markings with one-digit number, as 1/3, 2/1 and at least two more
- at least one with double tail marking with one-digit number and two-digit number (x/xx)
- some with double tail markings but with two-digit numbers, as 11/15, 12/16, …
- some with the last three digits of the Werknummer, as 119, 121, 122
- some without any tail markings, seen on single seater and double seater
Next to those planes with these markings, finished components with handwritten numbers are known, as vertical tail 114, starboard horizontal tail 125, flaps with 159 and 161, upper vertical tail 163, bottom vertical tail 175.
Most probably these handwritten numbers were the last digts of the W.Nr. and should get added to the associated planes. But it’s quite possible that these parts were used were ever they were needed.
That’s the reason I think that the numbers 163 and 175 can be found on the tail of Do 335 16/20.
Same thing with the data plate that was found on the wing of Do 335 1/3. Most probably this part fitted together with the rest of the plane, but it’s also possible that the wing was used, simply because it was available.
Without an official document, this part of the history of the Do 335 can’t get solved.
But maybe someday.
Cheers,

There appears nothing new in repeated words. Speculations. I was hoping for some striking ground-breaking research. But I am dissapointed. Be my guest to shed doupt, by using word like "thesis" (its not) "enlightenment" (like funny?) or whatever. Find some (new) answer and I can discuss it. But you must not break the tradition of books now-a-days of beeing with as much as possible of recycled info. Until then have the busi-est of days. You know today is the last day of the future and only Historians can change the Past, by showing us how to look at it, in the future. -Ed
Old 16th May 2019, 10:11

Simon Schatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ed, that’s true. I repeated known facts and added a little bit more. The reason why some of the planes had one kind of markings and why other planes had other kind of markings will get explained in the book.
Why should I not use the word “theses” if I refer to your reply? The “Serie/Zelle” system, that I BTW have discussed with another historian before you have written it here, maybe fits to Junkers, but it’s your “theses” that it also was used for the Dornier Do 335. Do you have the convincing proof without any alternative interpretation? That would be a List of Batch no./fuselage no. and the respective W.Nr. If that internal list does not surface there is no striking evidence and the connex remains an Interpretation or a working hypothesis. So your “theses” is at least an “enlightenment” or better said a confirmation that it was used by Junkers and other companies. That’s useful I think – thank you for that. May I ask when your book will be ready for publication? The chapter sounds very interesting.
BTW: The background about the double tail markings also couldn’t get answered by Dornier employees that were interviewed by different historians in the past decades. About 90% of all Do 335 documents were destroyed or were lost in the chaos of 1945. The remaining documents, and the fact that nearly all of the guys who were involved building the Do 335 have passed away, makes it quite impossible to answer all questions.
Maybe, with much luck, documents will surface, and answer the such open questions.
Old 16th May 2019, 10:32
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
There appears nothing new in repeated words. -Ed
Ed, what a little ray of sunshine you are! Do you have to be so relentlessly negative about other people’s efforts — might not a little encouragement from be worth trying from time to time?