Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th June 2010, 17:24

cyber2000 is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe attacks on Senj 7th and 8th October 1943

Hello,

I explore air bomb attacks on Senj, Croatia, during WWII.
Before WWII Senj was a small Croatian town on the Adriatic coast. The Germans attacked Senj 7th and 8th October 1943. The rest of bombardment was in 1944 and 1945 by SAAF and Royal Air Force (RAF) .
About my current research I published a book in April this year. Basically, in this book I researched the Allied air attacks on Senj: 15 recorded attacks, a lot of data, ten photos of air strikes, almost 200 photos taken from the ground and much much more to explore…
Meanwhile, the German air attacks on Senj 7th and 8th October 1943 remains still unknown.
What is known:
Italy's surrender in the area of Senj remained large quantity of various military weapons and equipment left behind by the Division Murgia. To prevent the equipment being used against Germans, as part of a general offensive in Croatian coast, the German air force repeatedly bombed Senj 7th and 8th September 1943.
Some sources say that these attacks were carried out by the German air combat forces from areas of northern Italy. Also, leaflets with a call to surrender were thrown from planes before the first attack. These facts does not necessarily have to be accurate but this is only what is known about these attacks.
According to some estimates, at this time was shortly after the German bombing nearly half the city razed to the ground. Fact is from an official source that German bombing raids have cost 48 lives.

On the basis of these data maybe someone knows:
- Which German units attacked Senj?
- Which types of aircraft were involved in the attack?
- Whether there are photos that have been made in the aircraft during the attack?
- Where I can get useful information for further research?

I post a few photos of the destroyed city of Senj in Attachments.
Thanks in advance,

Mislav Bilovic, Senj, Croatia

Last edited by cyber2000; 26th June 2010 at 08:54. Reason: wrong date