Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:50

Troy White is on a distinguished road
Heinz Bär's "Rote 13" Me 262 colours?

Hola desde Uruguay,

I am working on a painting of the well known Me 262 flown by Heinz Bär during 1945. I am a bit confused as to what the correct colours of this airplane should be. This is because I have seen it depicted several different ways in profiles, paintings and models. This makes me wonder what the general consensus is among Luftwaffe buffs.

I have a set of blueprints for the 262 which include camouflage specs. They say green and brown over light blue with mottling spots on the tail. Almost all of the models and profiles of this aircraft depict the vertical tail surfaces as an almost solid green colour rather than mottling over light blue. What is ther reason for that? Is there some sort of photographic evidence out there that I am missing or is it conjecture because there is a photo of an airplane with a similar WNr with a solid green tail?

The blueprints I have also indicate that the Me 262 was unpainted on the underside. Do y'all reckon that means bare metal without any primer or other coating?

If anyone interested in seeing my painting in progress here is a link to my studio page:

http://www.starduststudios.com/Studio.htm

Thanks a bunch for any input.

Ciao

Troy