Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th July 2016, 00:05
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Beisswenger 07 Apr 1941

Can anyone describe the circumstances of Hans "Beisser" Beisswenger's (6/JG 54) first victory on the 07 Apr 1941 at 17:50 in which he shot down a Hurricane to the south of Neusatz. I know it was the Hurricane I from the Ind. Fighter Esk. JKRV flown by Kapt. Danilo Gribic (MWIA) who bailed out by parachute and later bleed to death. Interested in the circumstances that took place before he shot it down.
Old 14th July 2016, 08:32

vvkj41 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beisswenger 07 Apr 1941

Nokose,

Cpt Danilo Grbic was shot down day before (6 April 1941) close to Mostar in combat with two ZG 26 pilots. Details about his death that you mentioned are correct.

Best
Aleks
Old 14th July 2016, 08:51

Boris Ciglic is on a distinguished road

... and Beisswenger actually misidentified his opponent as he fought against the Bf 109Es of 32. fighter group which lost six Emils to 4. and 6./JG 54, which claimed five Bf 109s and the sole Hurricane.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 14th July 2016, 16:30
Alter Hase

Thanks Aleks and Boris. So now that I found that the information listed for him on www.luftwaffe.cz is incorrect, I went to Tony Woods list for details of of the people involved from 4. and 6./JG 54 and none of them are listed. It was his first victory and I would like to get details on the the pilots involved from both sides of the fight. Boris, thanks again for stating that it was six Bf 109E that were lost with comparison to five Bf 109s and a Hurricane which leaves out the "overclaiming" factor. Hans seems to be one of the most honest and deadly aces of JG 54. He wasn't always perfect with his identification but his victories claims so far seem to have gone down. His "claims" for the 06 Mar 1943 were filed by his staffel and thus I don't hold that against him as so far there appears to be no matching Soviet losses during that last battle.
Old 14th July 2016, 23:08

Boris Ciglic is on a distinguished road

Hi Nokose,

The wrong data comes from the old book 'Air war for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete' by Shores et al.

The fight is described in detail in the book 'Messerschmitt Bf 109 The Yugoslav Story (Vol.I) which I co-authored.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=44718

Still, due to the short span of the battle and many claims, it was impossible to determine exactly who shot down which Yugoslav plane (except for Sattig and Fi 156 - which escaped unscratched).

Cheers,
Boris
Old 15th July 2016, 02:52
Alter Hase

Hello Boris, it looks like a very interesting book but sadly its not showing on Amazon here in the States but hopefully it will drift across the pond to here before long.
Old 15th July 2016, 19:59
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Nokose

The book by Boris is much more than interesting It is excellent!!
Not sure about his (or the publishers) possibillities across the pond, but you can order the book directly from him. You can trust him 110%, I have bought all his books that way and at least to Sweden it works like clockwork.

Just send him a private e-mail
Cheers
Stig
Old 15th July 2016, 20:32

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Nokose

The book by Boris is much more than interesting It is excellent!!
Not sure about his (or the publishers) possibillities across the pond, but you can order the book directly from him. You can trust him 110%, I have bought all his books that way and at least to Sweden it works like clockwork.

Just send him a private e-mail
Cheers
Stig
I would echo Stig's assessment. I purchased a copy directly from Boris as well, paid with Paypal and had it shipped to me in Canada. Shipping costs were fair and the book arrived quickly and well packed. If you are at all interested in the book, I would recommend using this method rather than waiting for a copy to show up on Amazon.com as I can almost guarantee the mark up on such a rare title will exceed anything you may pay to Boris. At least that has been my experience of books of this type.