Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 16th February 2007, 03:29
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
RAF & American pilots against the V-1

June.

http://www.grubstreet.co.uk/diver!_diver!_diver!.htm

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 16th February 2007, 20:51

SMF144
Re: RAF & American pilots against the V-1

Ed,

What about the Canadians, Poles, Czechs, and whom ever else I am missing?

Maybe Brian Cull can answer this question because if these nationalities aren't covered, then what the hell?

Stephen
Old 16th February 2007, 21:26

Griffon is on a distinguished road

ehm Stephen, correct me if I am wrong, but all the nationalities you mentioned did fight in an organisation, known as RAF, or am I wrong here?
so the title of the book does cover those pilots as well me thinks
Old 17th February 2007, 00:10

SMF144

Griffon,

I don't know because I haven't seen the book yet but the sub-title turns me right off.

Why not a little more general so as to encompas them all; like "the Allies who battled the V-1", instead?

Makes more sense, eh?

Stephen
Old 20th April 2007, 20:59

Amrit1 is on a distinguished road

I'd just like to add that this is an excellent book - as well researched as Cull's other books. I've been reading snippets at a friends house whilst awaiting my copy. As to the title - unfortunately, that seems to be Grub Street's fault rather than Cull's.

as the blurb states:

Quote:
etail every known success by the defending pilots of over 13 nationalities
EDIT - I should point out that the copy that I have been reading is a preview one - the book is published in June.

Last edited by Amrit1; 21st April 2007 at 15:21.
Old 20th April 2007, 21:20

marsyao

another excellent book related to this topic:
" AIR-LAUNCHED DOODLEBUGS: Hitler's V 1 Missiles and 111/Kampfgeschwader 3 and 53" by Peter Smith

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184...931922-8047924
Old 21st April 2007, 14:43
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Polish Air Force was not part of the RAF, just only subordinated operationally for the time of war. I am not sure about other nationalities, but I think most if not all of them formed foreign manned RAF Squadrons. It is a difference.
Old 21st April 2007, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
Polish Air Force was not part of the RAF, just only subordinated operationally for the time of war. I am not sure about other nationalities, but I think most if not all of them formed foreign manned RAF Squadrons. It is a difference.
It was a mixed bag - some other nationalities had both their own air forces, whilst some members served within RAF squadrons. I could certainly name a number from most of the commonwealth countries.

And as you say, for those who had their own air forces, I don't know of any that acted independently of the RAF in Europe.
Old 21st April 2007, 19:07
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

I am not sure if I was understood. I mean that the Polish government signed an agreement in which Britons recognised PAF as a separate air force. To the contrary, I believe Czechoslovak and French Squadrons had no such agreement and were foreign manned RAF Squadrons. American and colonial RAF squadrons were yet another matter.
Old 21st April 2007, 19:49

Yes, I know that there were three agreements between the British and Polish governments:

June 1940 - first agreement creating 2 Polish bomber squadrons and a training centre
August 1940 - transfer of sovereignty of Polish airmen to the Polish government (thus they could wear Polish insignia etc)
August 1944 - transfer of units to Polish command

However, what I am saying is that in every sense they came under RAF control for missions, deployment, equipment, traing etc. And the RCAF, RAAF, SAAF, RNZAF and IAF were also recognised as seperate entities under RAF operational control.

And the Free French Squadrons were under the same restraints, even though they were offically under the control of De Gualle, even though a lot of French pilots flew with RAF squadrons