Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 10th February 2020, 01:57
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Swedish Bomber Colours 1924-1958 (White Series)

Scheduled for 2 April.

https://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Bombe...books&sr=1-482

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 29th August 2020, 11:24

Maciej Góralczyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Swedish Bomber Colours 1924-1958 (White Series)

I must admit that I obtained ‘Swedish Bomber Colours 1924-1958’ from Mushroom/Stratus to complete the collection of books from their White Series rather that due to any special interest on the subject or the aircraft covered. However, it was a nice surprise to discover that Swedish bombers carried a fairly nice selection of insignia and nose art, which even included some pin up girls! The painting schemes were also different and interesting. On a total of 296 pages, ten aircraft types are described: FIAT BR and BR 1, Junkers Ju 86 K, Hawker Hart, Northrop 8A-1, Seversky/Republic 2PA Model 204 Guardsman, Fokker G.1B, Caproni Ca 313 R.P.B./S, SAAB 17 and 18. In each case a description of the particular aircraft’s origins and service in Sweden is provided and complemented by a table with technical data and characteristics and a listing of all examples of the type used (inc. serial numbers, contract numbers, units/codes, acceptance and SOC dates, hours flown and other remarks).This is, of course, followed by a detailed description of painting finishes and markings applied to the particular type (interestingly, in the case of SAAB 17 the aircraft in Danish, Ethiopian, Finnish and Austrian service are also covered) and colour profiles which depict various examples of the latter, coupled with photos of the actual aircraft as usual in this book series. Speaking of the photos, their number is great and their quality in most cases ranges from very good to excellent. In addition to dozens of black and white pictures, 31 period colour photos are also included. Overall, I’m impressed with this book and despite some glitches (to name a few: I’m not convinced to the idea of including Fokker G.1 considering none were ever delivered to Sweden; also the FS equivalents of RLM colours are rather off) I can highly recommend it to any aviation aficionado.

Video preview courtesy of the publisher: https://youtu.be/ve_cTVOKPlU

A few pics from me: