Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th July 2017, 09:36

vvkj41 is on a distinguished road
Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
Hi Aleks,

its different machine, but type of damaging looks very similar .....

To other: can you please check type of damaging wreck of Hurricanes from France 1940? I know only one case, other looks different....

Faenor
Hi Faenor,

I agree with you. It could be easily somewhere in France but it's not because the photo is from album of Yugoslav aviator and it represents 4.FR machine at Bosanski Aleksandrovac.
Here is one that I'm not sure about. It's from my friend's collection and it was together with dozen of photos from "Balkanfeldzug". No inscription on the back.

Aleks
Old 26th July 2017, 14:07
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Can you explain the markings on the upper wing please ?
It looks like the red/white Polish, so was this a sad attempt to portray the wreck as a Polish a/c ?Top of Yugo cross is visible on the remains of the fuselage.
Alex
Old 26th July 2017, 19:23

Hi Alex,

I don’t think that there was an attempt to present a/c as Polish one. Just my point of view. Royal Yugoslav markings were placed only on wings, never on fuselage.
Canvas on tail and rudder is preserved and there’s no RAF markings either. All imported Yugoslav Hurricanes were without tail/rudder national flags, only licensed ones had them. Painted or damaged surface on upper side of starboard wing is too far from wingtip to be overpainted RAF or Yugoslav roundel. According to metal wing cover and armored windshield it’s late Mk.I
Was there any examples of RAF Hurricanes in France without national flags on tail surfaces? I’m not expert on the subject, but I can not remember that I saw one so far...
There is some chances that it could be Yugoslav machine but I’m not sure. If it is, then VVKJ 4.Fighter Regiment machine is in question.

Aleks
Old 26th July 2017, 20:27

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvkj41 View Post
Hi Faenor,

I agree with you. It could be easily somewhere in France but it's not because the photo is from album of Yugoslav aviator and it represents 4.FR machine at Bosanski Aleksandrovac.
Here is one that I'm not sure about. It's from my friend's collection and it was together with dozen of photos from "Balkanfeldzug". No inscription on the back.

Aleks
Hi Aleks,

from my searching, this Hurricane is definitely from France 1940 - see this topic, on this group of wrecks, there is Miles Master used by Squadrons described in this topic:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=46093

There is more photo - see attachment including Miles Master

Faenor

Last edited by Faenor; 23rd October 2020 at 20:31.
Old 26th July 2017, 20:35

Faenor is on a distinguished road
Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940 or Yugoslavia 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvkj41 View Post
Yes I do, but you will have to wait. My book about Hawker in Royal Yugoslav service should be published in near future, most probably at the beggining of next year.
Hi Aleks - fully understand :-)

For you and all, who is interesting in this topic - on e-bay, there is set of 3 photos:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...UAAOSwjyxZb0wX
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...0AAOSwSKlZb0zQ
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...4AAOSwajRZb000

No roundel on wing (maybe I´m blind) , no flag on tail (good point from previous discussion) and on the 3rd photo is some wooden stool with inscription, which I can´t read - maybe somebody younger or with more info

Faenor
Old 26th July 2017, 21:37
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

IIRC, the fin flash was introduced on May 1st 1940, so it can be expected that aircraft will have had it added by the start of the campaign. Is it possible that the wreck was from an accident before this date?
Old 26th July 2017, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
Hi Aleks,

from my searching, this Hurricane is definitely from France 1940 - see this topic, on this group of wrecks, there is Miles Master used by Squadrons described in this topic:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=46093

There is more photo - see attachment including Miles Master

Faenor
Well Faenor, you’re the man!
Excellent, just take a look at the some sort of construction with the roof on the right. That’s the same spot, no doubt. One less to bother with...

Aleks
Old 27th July 2017, 00:02

Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940 or Yugoslavia 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by

For you and all, who is interesting in this topic - on e-bay, there is set of 3 photos:
[url
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawker-Hurricane-Flugzeug-Wrack-Wehrmacht-Beute-Westfront-Frankreich-A-/362043645510?hash=item544b7b9e46:g:xcUAAOSwjyxZb0w X[/url]
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...0AAOSwSKlZb0zQ
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...4AAOSwajRZb000

No roundel on wing (maybe I´m blind) , no flag on tail (good point from previous discussion) and on the 3rd photo is some wooden stool with inscription, which I can´t read - maybe somebody younger or with more info

Faenor
Faenor,

let me try to analyze this one through Yugoslav Hurricanes perspective. It’s not licensed one build by “Zmaj” factory. They were all in three tone camouflage with tail flags (canvas covered wings/non-armored windshields). Next candidate could be the machine from first imported batch (also canvas covered wings and non-armored windshields). So, an early Mk.I (like in 4.FR). There is no roundel on starboard wing for sure. It seems that there is no radio/radio mast as well (same as VVKJ Hurricanes). Inscription on stool says – “2 HANGAR”. If photo represents France, caponnière should be more logical, or not? Yugoslavs regularly used word hangar. According to testimonies, most of the 4.FR Hurricanes were stuck between houses and farms at the edge of the airfield, just like this one. And finally, dimensions of canvas cut out from the rudder fits the position of inscriptions on Yugoslav Hurricanes (only on port side of the rudder), take a look at the photos attached. Well, that was the best of me at the moment...

Aleks
Old 27th July 2017, 16:36
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

We still have the problem on the non-standard propeller and spinner, unlike any combination seen on other RAF Hurricanes in May 1940. Does it look like the late Yugoslav propeller and its spinner?

Another possibility is that it is an early metal Rotol, which were tried on one unit of Spitfires in this period, but that would mean a different spinner.
Old 27th July 2017, 17:33
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

A book about the Royal Yugoslav Air Force. Unfortunately, the text is in Cyrillic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Yugosl...-/232136659637

Usual disclaimer,
Ed