Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th November 2010, 15:38
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Guy Gibson's death

Hi guys

I don't recall this being discussed previously but if so I apologise.

Apparently in a book entited Thundering Through the Clear Air, author Derek Brammer suggests that Gibson's Mosquito was shot down by a Lancaster gunner who thought it was a German aircraft. Accorrding to Brammer, Gibson buzzed the bombers to 'see if the gunners were awake'

I haven't seen the book myself, yet, but would appreciate comments from our experts.

Cheers
Brian
Old 25th November 2010, 01:10

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
Re: Guy Gibson's death

Gibson was at first though to have been downed by Flak because there were no 2-engine NJG claims this night.
Some older postings on this site and the ATB book on the Dams raid speculate that the plane may have ran out of fuel because Gibson and his navigator were not fully familiar the the Mosquito aircraft and could not find and open the reserve fuel valves before the plane ran out of fuel stalled and crashed. there are other people out there who should be able to tell you more about it.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:05

wellss is on a distinguished road

not familiar with the Mosquito? Really? The guy flew Hampdens, Manchesters and Lancasters....c'mon I think he would have spent enough time with it...geez...

I highly doubt he would have buzzed a bomber to " see if the gunners were awake ". That would be stupid. What nonsense...
Old 26th November 2010, 14:05

John(txic) is on a distinguished road

His arrogance was legendary, wells. It is not as silly a concept as you may have thought!
Old 26th November 2010, 14:48

glider1 is on a distinguished road

Nothing to do with Gibson but I did read of a Beaufighter squadron who used to take bomber S/Leaders up, as a Beau could seat a third person behind the pilot. They would hunt british bombers and get to a firing position before pulling away. This was done because bomber crews were more concerned with flak than fighters and were trying to drive the message home that fighters were the risk.
The bombers were on operational missions and would fire at any twin engined aircraft without any thought.
Not once did a bomber open fire. In the end they were told to stop doing this as it was bad for the morale of the bomber crews.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:48
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Did I read somewhere that a Lancaster gunner claimed an "Me 210" in the right place and at the right time?

I don't wish to enter a conspracy theory debate, especially since all I have is hearsay rather than evidence, but I am absolutely certain there has been some debate or discussion about this scenario.
Old 26th November 2010, 23:59

sammys is on a distinguished road

Crikey thats opened the flood gates now!