Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th November 2012, 18:44
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photo(S) of Stab I./KG152 - Stab II./KG1 He111Hs from the late-summer or fall of 1939

Hello,

For EoE Project profiling purposes, we've located suitable photos to illustrate the new He111Hs assigned to all three Staffeln of I./KG152 during the Polish Campaign, which on 18 Sept. 1939 was re-designated II./KG1. These a/c for both units carried the codes V4+_U, V4+_V and V4+_W. However, I've been unable to locate any photos showing the Stab of this organization (code known be V4+_E) during this period. These a/c are not known to have carried any unit emblems or insignias.

Does anyone have photos that might help, or can point me to a source for same?

Once again, thanx for your assistance.

Larry Hickey

EoE Project Coordinator
Old 1st December 2012, 08:19

GaraiB is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photo(S) of Stab I./KG152 - Stab II./KG1 He111Hs from the late-summer or fall of 1939

Hello Larry,

I found just this one. V4+AU
Time period: September 1939

Best regards,

Balazs
Old 1st December 2012, 08:37

Peglar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Seeking photo(S) of Stab I./KG152 - Stab II./KG1 He111Hs from the late-summer or fall of 1939

Larry, found one from V 4 + AB - seeking one from 9./KG 1 from May 1940 starting from Ettingshausen against France. Greetings peglar

Last edited by Peglar; 7th February 2013 at 20:33.
Old 1st December 2012, 09:21
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photo(S) of Stab I./KG152 - Stab II./KG1 He111Hs from the late-summer or fall of 1939

Balazs & Peglar,

Thanx for your efforts to help. I already have both photos you posted, and both are actually planned as profiles, the first for the Sta Kap of 1./KG152, Oblt. Max Gerstenberger, and the second for the Gr Kdr of Stab I./KG1, Obstlt Robert Krauss. What I'm looking for would be an He111H with the coding V4+_E, for the Gruppenstab of I./KG152 which became the Gruppenstab of Ii./KG1 in mid-Sept., 1939 during the Polish Campaign. These units still carried the old coding for IV./KG152, and continued to carry them clear into 1941.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 1st December 2012, 09:41
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Peglar,

What are you looking for from 9./KG1? I have photos of V4+DT, V4+ET, V4+IT and V4+KT in the EoE photo DB, all of which FL, crashed or were damaged in a ground collision on a German airfield during May, 1940. V4+ET, which made a FL on 10.05.40, is very well known from about two dozen images of it that have appeared on eBay in recent years. I'm sure that you've seen many photos of it on eBay but just didn't know what you were looking at. V4+DT is excellently covered on P.207 of Peter Cornwell's book: "The Battle of France Then and Now" under May 10, 1940. Photos of V4+ET immediately after FL also appear in the same section of that book. V4+IT came down inverted on the rue du Blanc Ballot in the town of Luigne, Belgium, on 21.05.40, but the fuselage and markings were well intact. V4+KT was moderately damaged in a ground collision at Butzweilerhof AF, Cologne, Germany, on 24.05.40. None of these a/c carried any kind of unit insignia, only unit codes with yellow a/c letters. Rather unremarkable from a markings standpoint.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 1st December 2012, 11:02

Thumbs up Re: Seeking photo(S) of Stab I./KG152 - Stab II./KG1 He111Hs from the late-summer or fall of 1939

Larry, there are some losses from KG 1, 27 March 1940 by the staff KG 1, He 111 V4 + DA, 7 April 1940 I. / KG 1 He 111 H 3 near Giessen, 14 June 1940 3./KG He 111 H3 (Giessen / clash at Chartres) and 11 June 1940 III. / KG 1 He 111 H 3 at Ettingshausen. Photos are welcome.

Greetings Peglar
Old 1st December 2012, 18:17
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Peglar,

For the 27.3.40 crash we have in our EoE DB:

"Stabsstaffel KG1 Heinkel He111H-2. Crashed and burned out at Sellnrod, 35 km east of Giessen, due to engine failure on return from combat sortie. (FF) Uffz Erich Keerl, (BeO) Hptm Johann Tippmann (Stabstaffelkapitän), (BF) Uffz Walter Volzer, and (BM) Uffz Willi Klinkert all killed. Aircraft 100% write-off."

What is the source of your info that this is V4+DA? There is a good photo of the rear part of V4+DA on P.56 of Barry Rosch's "Luftwaffe Codes Markings and Units," that is probably from the 1939 Polish Campaign period. There is also another auction image of this a/c from eBay shown after the markings change during mid-Oct., 1939, with very large national markings on the fuselage and top of wings. Not a very sharp photo but could represent the a/c markings at the time of the crash. It is flying a StaKap pennant or flag from the cockpit. If you want me to send a scan of it to you, let me know.

For the second loss on 7 April, I don't have any information that you don't have.

For the 14 June incident I carry that as:

"3./KG1 Heinkel He111H-3. Collided with Uffz Rensinghoff and crashed between Chartres and Nogent-le-Rotrou. FF Oberlt Wolfgang von Feilitzsch, BM Fw Heinz Bertelsmeyer, HB Uffz Herbert Wolfs, BF Uffz Werner Schubert, and BS Gefr Rolf Hart all captured unhurt – later released. Aircraft V4+GL 100% write-off. "

What is your source about a crash at "Giessen/Clash (crash?) at Chartres)? Do you know precisely where it came down.

For 11 June 1940, I have only:

" I./KG1 Heinkel He111H-3. Returned to Ettinghausen damaged by fighters. No crew casualties. Aircraft 45% damaged but repairable."

When I run these incidents in the DB I don't find any photos identifiable with these incidents. Are you working on some sort of KG1 project relating to the 1940 period? Do you have further information or photos on any of these incidents?

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 1st December 2012, 20:38

Larry, send me a PM. Greetings peglar
Old 2nd December 2012, 16:15
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi chaps, for your interest regarding the 7th April 1940 incident ( dont know whether you have this? ) the crew i have was Lt Morgenstern, Lt Zickleton both killed in the crash with one other killed?, plus one other airman wounded.

Larry, do you have the crew and functions for Rensinghoff's a/c 14.6.40.

Best regs,
Steve.
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:18

Hi chaps, for your interest regarding the 7th April 1940 incident ( dont know whether you have this? ) the crew i have was Lt Morgenstern, Lt Zickleton both killed in the crash with one other killed?, plus one other airman wounded.

Start near Gießen, Tree Contact short after starting

(FF) Lt. Zickelten +, (B) Lt. Morgenstern +, (BF) Uffz. Müller +, (BS) Fhr. Bauke wounded

Greetings Peglar