Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th September 2005, 21:20
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Hauptmann Erich Hohagen

Hi all

On 16 September 1943, Hauptmann Erich Hohagen, Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 2, was wounded in aerial combat with RAF Spitfire fighters and remained in convalescence for several weeks. Would anybody have some information concerning the aircraft that he was flying when this incident occurred, such as subtype, tactical code and werknummer, if possible? If so, any help on this incident would be greatly appreciated.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 28th September 2005, 21:31
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hauptmann Erich Hohagen

FW 190 A-3, Wk Nr 532. Force-landed Rennes after combat with B-17s
Old 28th September 2005, 21:32
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hauptmann Erich Hohagen

Fw190A-6, WNr 550532, Stab I./JG 2,16-Sep-43, Kdr., WIA in Luftkampf with B-17s. Notlandung. Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #11)-Vol.21; Ring JG 2 loss list, p.16, Fl.Pl. Rennes, 30%

KZ not listed in official reports
Old 29th September 2005, 07:42
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Hauptmann Erich Hohagen

Hi Chris and John

Thank you very much for taking the time to kindly answer my question. I am very grateful to both of you. Your responses have helped me in my efforts to piece more together of the career of this very interesting ace. Major Hohagen may not have been one of the highest scoring Luftwaffe aces but the length and extent of his service goes to show that one should not judge aces solely by the extent of their victories but also by their experience. Thank you for your contributions, which also corrected that his opponents in this case were B-17 four-engined bombers and not Spitfire fighters.

Horrido!

Leo