Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th February 2008, 23:49

Flugplatz Giessen is on a distinguished road
Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

Hello,

I´m searching the exact location and the name of the Stalag Luft or the German Army Hospital in which Capt. Emmer, 354th Fighter Group (Status POW) died on 15.Feb.1945.

Also welcome is his burial place today.

Thank you.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:30

JACK COOK
Re: Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

I beleive he lies next to his younger brother Ray a GI KIA in Italy in St. Louis, MO.
Old 13th February 2008, 22:20
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Flugplatz Giessen,

Capt Wallace N. Emmer (O-730422) was first held at Stalag Luft 12A (Limburg/Lahn) and was later moved to Stalag 9B (Bad Orb) according his POW record.

He was from St. Louis, MO and is buried there at the New Mt. Sinai Cemetery with his brother: see
http://www.newmtsinaicemetery.org/To...20New%20Mt.pdf
on page 4.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 14th February 2008, 22:29

aaatripp is on a distinguished road

Hello Leendert, Jack Cook and Flugplatz Giessen,

I saw your notations regarding my cousin, Capt. Wallace N. Emmer, USAAF. I am conducting family research and would very much like to know more of the details. Could you please tell me more on the forum, or respond offline to: aaatripp@cox.net? Any response greatly appreciated. With many thanks.

aaatripp
Old 14th February 2008, 23:15

Thank you Leendert and Cook for the informations.

Leendert,

is any information in Emmers POW-Record about the german army hospitel in which he died and the cementary he was burried on 15.Fbe.1945?

Thank you for the reply.
Old 15th February 2008, 09:35
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Info is from the online http://aad.archives.gov/aad/ records.
No further details there than in reply.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 16th February 2008, 13:05

aaatripp is on a distinguished road

15 Feb 45: 'Lest We Forget......Capt. Wallace N. Emmer, USAAF.

My cousin, Bud Emmer, died peacefully on this date. He was being repatriated in a prisoner swap and died of a heart attack as he was preparing to leave the camp. The mlty. certificate of death indicates cause as acute myocarditis---Bud was greatly weakened by burns suffered when he bailed out of his P51-D on 9 Aug 44.

The letter describing his passing was sent by SRO Allied POW Col. Charles W. Stark to my aunt and uncle from Dulag Luft (probably Wetzlar). Bud was borne to his final resting place by his comrades and buried on a hill near Bublinghausen. In 1948 his father purchased headstones for Bud and his younger brother Ray (found slumped over his B.A.R. in Belgium on 18 Nov which was Bud's birthday) so it begs the question....were their remains returned to St. Louis? I'm still researching this question (the cemetery records are inconclusive). Col. Stark's letter relates that Bud was standing next to an air raid siren just when it sounded a raid warning; Bud collapsed into the arms of fellow POW F/O Leonard Walker, RAAF.

On Sunday, 8 Apr 45, a memorial service was held in St. Louis where Bud's medals were presented to his parents. Present from the 354FG were Col. James Howard (MoH, CO 356FS/CO 354FG), Capt. David O'Hara and Capt. Robert Goodnight.

Tripp
Old 16th February 2008, 20:56

Hello Tripp,

this is a wonderfull message. The DULAG was the Dulag in Wetzlar. Büblingshausen is a part of the town of Wetzlar. There is the cemetery and I have a good picture of the burial of Wallace Emmer in Feb. 1945. German soldiers shoot salut on his grave. I will sent you the picture via PM. Stark was the Senior Office in this Camp and your cousin was treated in Giessen Hospitel near wetzlar.

Greetings
Old 17th February 2008, 23:46

JACK COOK

I talked to cousin Jay Emmer a few years back. I recall him saying that Wally and Ray were buried in St Louis. I also talked to another cousin in the Baltimore area (?). I vaguely recall being told that all the military stuff had been discarded or lost.
David O'Hara was a great guy and flew with Wally a lot. Bob Goodnight was in the 356th FS and was in flight school with Wally. Jim Howard was the 354th Fg CO. Don Beerbower (Wally's best friend) was KIA on Aug. 9th. His brother lived a couple of blocks away from me and was a very good friend.
Old 17th February 2008, 23:55

JACK COOK

Capt Wally Emmer and Capt AR Matson prior to flying over St. Lo the the 354th FG's 2 seat P-51B.

Capt Wally Emmer receives the Silver Star from M/Gen. Lewis Brereton commander 9th Air Force Normandy July 1944.

Best buddies Capt Wally Emmer and Capt Don Beerbower 353rd FS Boxted, UK Jan 1944.