Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th August 2021, 12:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: German docs in TSAMO

For anyone interested in JG 5's response to the Lancasters that sank the Tirpitz, take a look at Bestand 500 / Findbuch 12453 - Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine (OKM) / Akte 79: Verschiedene Materialien der Wehrmachtsbehörden in Norwegen.

This includes documents apparently assembled for the post-mortem on the loss of the Tirpitz on 12 November 1944. Among these are transcripts of traffic between the controller and the fighters, reports from observer posts, the ground controller's account of the attack and response and (see attached) a list of which pilots took off, when, and in which aircraft.
Old 16th August 2021, 14:47

DDT is on a distinguished road

Very interesting Nick! Thanks for sharing the documents.

Dirk
Old 18th August 2021, 13:24

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
For anyone interested in JG 5's response to the Lancasters that sank the Tirpitz, take a look at Bestand 500 / Findbuch 12453 - Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine (OKM) / Akte 79: Verschiedene Materialien der Wehrmachtsbehörden in Norwegen.
Very much appreciate you sharing that find -- great stuff!

I've had a long fascination with 617 Squadron, and visited Bardufoss and Tromsø a couple of years ago. It wasn't hard to imagine Ehrler and Dörr taking off in their 109s that morning, and 9. Staffel's 190s waiting next to the sloping runway for the incoming Ju 52 (or Ju 88?) to land...

12 Nov 44 was a very dark day for JG 5, due to a major breakdown in communication and coordination between the Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe.

Regards,
Leon Venter
Old 19th August 2021, 12:58

MW Giles is on a distinguished road

It is also interesting that the times set out in the two excerpts posted here do not agree

Cannot understand enough German to get from the texts which one is correct or why the difference

Martin
Old 11th November 2021, 12:20

egbert is on a distinguished road

I was scanning for Lw Flak units, but did not find the source. anybody?
Old 11th November 2021, 15:37

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Egbert,

Is this what you were looking for Findbuch 12476 - Flakkorps und Flakdivisionen

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 11th November 2021, 15:47
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

There's also this one with reference to Seelöwe (but I'm only halfway through the first page of files so far): https://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/...de/grid/zoom/1
Old 11th November 2021, 15:58

egbert is on a distinguished road

Andy,the 12474 is available for some time now. I have scanned this doc for my fathers flak unit to no avail.
I mean indeed the new Seelöwe files. My Q refered to Flak units. So far I scanned the file with no reference to flak units...
Old 11th November 2021, 16:52

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Egbert,

Apologies - I would have to say I have not seen a lot specific to Flak units I'm afraid.

Anyone interested in Target Codes (Ziel Nrs) there is this file - Akte 433: Unterlagen des Koluft beim AOK 9: Karten zu Zielpunkten und Landungsräumen der 9. Armee, Kartenskizzen zur Dislokation und Stärke von Verbänden der britischen Luftstreitkräfte, Luftbildaufnahmen der britischen Küste

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122