Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 28th September 2016, 19:36

Knullenkopf is on a distinguished road
New book: Die Knullenkopfstaffel - 1.(F)/123

Hi,
I am the author of the book "Die Knullenkopfstaffel". And i am quite happy to get so much positive feedback for my publication - also in this forum.

Regarding to the post of ErwinR:
My book contains a number of excellent photos, several stories and interesting information of Lt. Hoefer. His crew was the first within 1.(F)/123 to get the EK1on May 29th 1940.

Feel free to contact me.

Harald Rabeder
www.fernaufklaerer.com
Old 28th September 2016, 22:07

seelöwe is on a distinguished road
New Book: Die Knullenkopfstaffel - 1. FAG 123

Hi Erwin,
most of your photos are also included and well described in the book "Knullenkopfstaffel" 1.(F)/123 of Harald Rabeder.

I have already read most of the book in the meantime, and I am impressed about the high quality level of research and the excellent large scale photos published in this book.

In my opinion - the finest book about Luftwaffe long range reconnaissance.
Old 28th September 2016, 23:27

Re: Die Knullenkopfstaffel - Fernaufklärung mit der 1. Staffel/Aufklärungsgruppe 123

I have attached some photos of the book "Knullenkopfstaffel" - and will post more. The paper quality of the original is very good.
The size of the jpgs had to be limited to < 200kb. Originals in book are of EXCELLENT Quality.

Regards
Seelöwe

Last edited by seelöwe; 29th September 2016 at 00:00.
Old 1st October 2016, 01:49
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Die Knullenkopfstaffel - Fernaufklärung mit der 1. Staffel/Aufklärungsgruppe 123

Thank you very much. I have a question about the color of the emblem shown on the cover and the color of the emblem on the aircraft fuselage. Which one has the correct color? Was one a variant color?

Best,
Ed West
Old 1st October 2016, 08:56

Hi Ed,
thanks for your interest.
I am the author of the book "Knullenkopfstaffel".

The Knullenkopf-emblem existed in several styles and color variants during the early years 1939 and 1940.
You will find some examples of different styles in my book. Concerning the color most of the Knullenkopfs were in blue (also different styles dark/light blue existed). In most cases the Knullenkopf was hand-painted. But as the emblem was also used on squadron cars, buildings and equipment, the soldiers also produced schablones for spraying.
The Knullenkopf I used on the cover is taken from a rare color photo I got from a observer of the squadron.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please let me know.
Harry
Old 1st October 2016, 20:02

Hi Ed,
as far as I have seen in the book, there are photos of several variants of the squadron mascot. Different styles and probably varying colours.
The emblem on the fuselage is individual for each machine. In the book you will find a number of different interesting machine emblems too.

regards
Seelöwe
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:16
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knullenkopf View Post
Hi Ed,
thanks for your interest.
I am the author of the book "Knullenkopfstaffel".

The Knullenkopf-emblem existed in several styles and color variants during the early years 1939 and 1940.
You will find some examples of different styles in my book. Concerning the color most of the Knullenkopfs were in blue (also different styles dark/light blue existed). In most cases the Knullenkopf was hand-painted. But as the emblem was also used on squadron cars, buildings and equipment, the soldiers also produced schablones for spraying.
The Knullenkopf I used on the cover is taken from a rare color photo I got from a observer of the squadron.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please let me know.
Harry
Hi Harry,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have always been fascinated by the emblems. I wish you much success with this book.

Best,
Ed
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:19
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelöwe View Post
Hi Ed,
as far as I have seen in the book, there are photos of several variants of the squadron mascot. Different styles and probably varying colours.
The emblem on the fuselage is individual for each machine. In the book you will find a number of different interesting machine emblems too.

regards
Seelöwe
Hi Seelöwe,

Thank you for your reply. It seems new emblems keep turning up, and they always surprise me, especially their histories.

Regards,
Ed
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:48
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

You mean like this?

Last edited by Chris Goss; 20th March 2017 at 16:00.
Old 3rd October 2016, 20:15

Die Knullenkopfstaffel - Fernaufklärung mit der 1. Staffel/Aufklärungsgruppe 123

Hi Chris,
you are right - very nice and rare plate for the 1000th mission.
Here is a part of my Knullenkopf collection.

Harry