Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd July 2021, 04:49

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point
JG1 Fw-190A Red Nose firing cannon color camera footage?

Been a long, long time since I’ve posted on this site. In any case . . .
1948’s “Fighter Squadron” is a classic COLOR WWII flick employing Air National Guard P-47s and P-51s (the Mustangs as Bf-109G stand ins) and is viewable in good quality on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Il1JH5ujIk&t=896s

This film employs some of the more notable WWII COLOR gun camera footage (worth studying if that is your interest) including shots from the Pacific Theater). The gun camera footage is preserved in a slightly higher quality from what I have usually found online. Starting at 14:09 you can see what *appears* to be a Fw-190A making a tail pass. Color film is taken from the (apparently the waist gun position? of the intended B-17?) target. In one shot you can make out a gun flash from one of what I assume to be the outer wing cannon. As the Focke-Wulf nears individual colors become barely discernable -a yellow spinner with a red cowling, suggesting a 2./JG1 fighter. I copied screen shots of several frames and enhanced the contrast making the red and yellow even more visible. I’m wondering if anyone can confirm or dispel my assumptions or add their own observations.

TIA

Last edited by Rob Romero; 9th July 2021 at 22:47.
Old 5th July 2021, 23:08

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Re: JG1 Fw-190A Red Nose firing cannon color camera footage?

That's what I'm seeing--except I don't think it was a tail pass.

I *think* that's gun camera footage from a P-47 or P-51. The Fw-190 was lower in altitude, in a turning climb, and was firing at an Allied fighter. Neither plane *in this nose to nose pass* had the proper lead/firing solution to hit/connect. (The Fw-190 was firing well behind his opponent and the Allied fighter was low and behind as well.)

Outstanding footage. Thank you for sharing it.

Bronc
Old 6th July 2021, 18:55

Von Alles

Beware : some of these planes are...japanese !
Old 9th July 2021, 06:54

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your insight. IMO the closing speed is too slow for a head-on pass. And yes as noted ("Pacific Theater") I was aware that some of the footage was of Japanese planes.