Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th January 2012, 23:13

BC
Wellington ditching - Berlin op info sought

Hi all,

Not a lot to go on, but I'm trying to ID a Wellington which ditched after a night-fighter attack on the way home from Berlin. The incident is the last account in the late Chaz Bowyer's "Wellington At War" (Ian Allen 1982). In his account, the 2nd pilot, named Tom Browne (T A Browne BEM, in the acknowledgements) describes how it was his first sortie, the pilot being a "Scouser" F/Sgt with the DFM. Browne states 14 aircraft from their squadron flew the operation that night.
The port engine had to be feathered through lack of oil and the other began to overheat, the aircraft being forced to ditch. The crew were all able to board their dinghy, Browne having been knocked unconscious in the crash, was hauled out of the water by the other crew. An "ASR speedboat" picked them up and brought them ashore, where upon arrival in hospital, Browne was told he had lost his left eye. The only other 'clue' in the account is the mention that the ASR craft was searching for the crew of another Wellington that had ditched - without success.

I fully appreciate there are few clues here, but I feel sure the gen men here can don their detective caps and hopefully nail this one for us.

TIA,

BC
Old 9th January 2012, 23:51
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellington ditching - Berlin op info sought

I can only add that the sortie must have been in mid 1941 or later as proper ASR vessels were only around from about July 1941.

Also if the ASR was able to rescue the crew they must have been in ASR range of the UK when they ditched and if anyone can say what the range of an ASR was then that will help.

I had a look in Bomber Command Losses for 1940-41 - Nothing there that matches.

As for 1942 this was a year for 1,000 bomber raids etc but none to Berlin so have a look in BCL for 1943, about the last year when Bomber Command used Wellingtons

Last edited by Larry; 10th January 2012 at 00:29.
Old 10th January 2012, 23:39

BC

Thanks for the input Larry, but I'm not having a lot of luck on this one due principally to the vagueness of the account. I'll keep trawling/digging, anyway.

BC
Old 11th January 2012, 00:21

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

It is worth pointing out that Coastal Forces MGBs and MLs (even MTBs) carried out ASR duties. They were given set positions/sectors and allowed a bit of latitude concerning engagement with enemy forces. A look at the Coastal Forces records will show that RN craft were on ASR duty most nights in the war. Many but not all operated under the command of Dover.

If you ever nail down an approximate date I may be able to find out some more about craft involved.

Hope this helps,
Bruce
Old 11th January 2012, 17:31
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the November 7/8 1941 raid on Berlin where 10 Wellingtons were lost? According to BCW Diaries by Middlebrook, this was the last major raid on Berlin until January 1943?
Old 11th January 2012, 18:56
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Bob, BCW Diaries also show 7/8 Sept. 1941 8 Wellingtons lost on Berlin raid and 3 more on the Berlin raid 20/21 Sept 1941, Is 1943 out of being considered for Wellingtons attacking Berlin mostly by 4-engined aircraft ( plus Mosquitos). Looking in 'The Battle of the East Coast' the few mention of Wellington crews being picked up by ASR launches are not on dates when Berlin was raided,

Good luck with this one

Brian Bines
Old 12th January 2012, 00:38
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

I still think 1941 to 1942 are the years in which this incident occured.

One place to check is the amendments section in the following BC Losses books for corrections