Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st January 2006, 08:48

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
Hungarian attack on the bridge in Nikolayev 11 VIII 1941

Hungarian attack on the bridge in Nikolayev 11 VIII 1941.

On 11 VIII 1941 Hungarian avaition group of 15 planes did attack in Nikolayev a bridge spanning the River Bug. The attack was succcesfull and conection was destroyed. It had been cut off some 60.000 Soviets troops (later PoW).
The 3 Caproni Ca.135 (each had 1.600 kgbomb) did it. They had escord of 7 CR.42 (1/3. “Kör ász” Sqn) and 5 Re.2000 (from 1/2. Sqn). After attack formation was strongly contested by Soviet fighters (some sources says even 70 - too much).
Hungarian pilots flying on CR.42 claimed 5 kills (I-16s) without loss, the Re.2000 claimed next 2 kills (I-16s) for one loss (pilot KIA). The 4 next were claimed by 2 crews of Ca.135.
There was quite big air combat then.
I wonder, which Soviet IAP did fight with this group?

Regrads,
Mirek Wawrzynski
Old 31st January 2006, 09:23

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Hungarian attack on the bridge in Nikolayev 11 VIII 1941

Mirek,

your sources are wrong regarding the effect of the raid, number of the Soviet fighters (much less), number of the Hungarian claims (9 in all) and even the fate of the lost Hungarian pilot (who was MIA not KIA, I am still trying to investigate, what happned with him, got one interesting spark from a researcher two years ago regarding his plane). It seems to me, that three different Soviet fighter unit took part in this heavy engagement. You will find some details soon in my projects about that day (at first: in my Hungarian aces project in this year, in Hungarian and English language as well).
Old 3rd February 2006, 15:14

earthling is on a distinguished road

my father flew in the hungarian airforce - he was based at szeged - any ideas the best way to research his actions during the war ?

thanks

adam
Old 4th February 2006, 10:36

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks for the info.
If we talking about Hungarian from their point of view, it is more or less very well know event. There are lacking insights from other side and with this is some kind of "problem". There should be any confirmation about this case from Soviet side.
Maybe soon or later this will surface on Sovite side. There were to many people on the other side, who took part in this or in later comabt fought by MKHL.

To Adam
BTWy depends in which unit your father did take part in the war (fighters are better know), bombers and reccon in lesser degree but also know. There were printed in Hungary or on emigration plenty memories from WW II (in Hungarian and in Englishg so there should be not so many problems (in archives in Budapst also should be documents for his service).

Regards,
MirekW