Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd August 2010, 13:38

Walliser is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe aircraft captured by US Army

Hello All,
Where can I find a list of German aircraft found by the US Army at the end of the war. No details (serial numbers aso) needed.
A list concerning this item established by the RAF for their occupation zone I have already found.
Thanks in advance.
From Switzerland
Walliser
Old 22nd August 2010, 17:41

kb
Re: Luftwaffe aircraft captured by US Army

This article includes a listing of the aircraft returned to the US by "Watson's Whizzers".

http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/EARS/watson.htm
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:08

Walliser is on a distinguished road

Hello kb,
Thanks for the rapid reaction. I found the mentioned article, but I could not detect the inserted list. Didn't I look at the right place? Can you help me?

Regards
Walliser
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:29
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Might be better posting this on the Luftwaffe site?
Old 28th August 2010, 02:29

kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walliser View Post
Hello kb,
Thanks for the rapid reaction. I found the mentioned article, but I could not detect the inserted list. Didn't I look at the right place? Can you help me?

Regards
Walliser
These two paragraphs from the article at the link outline the aircraft recovered. I'm sure there's a more detailed list with individual aircraft ID numbers.

"Armed with a "wish list" of German aircraft the Army Air Forces wanted to acquire, Watson selected 9th Air Force pilots to join him. The first catch was a Heinkel- 177 bomber. In April 1945, Lechfeld airfield, near the Messerschmitt factory, fell into American hands, and the collection of German aircraft grew dramatically. Karl Bauer and a crew of 25 former Messerschmitt airmen and mechanics helped the Americans.

The most famous of the German aircraft was the Messerschmitt-262, and Watson brought 12 back to the United States in July aboard the British aircraft carrier, HMS Reaper. Four of the -262s were "ordinary" fighters, one had a 50-mm cannon, three were pilot training aircraft, one was equipped for night fighting, and three were photographic reconnaissance aircraft. In addition to the Me-262s, the Reaper carried two Arado-234s, three Heinkel-219s, two Dornier-335s, nine Focke Wulf-190s, a Tank-152, three Messerschmitt BF-109s, a Messerschmitt BF-108, a Junkers-88, a Junkers-388, two Flettner-282 helicopters, and a Doblhoff jet helicopter."
Old 30th August 2010, 01:16

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

The "A" series intelligence reports contain information on aircraft captured by US forces. These reports number into the hundreds and give information on number and types of captured aircraft by location (not all are about aircraft). I know of no location with a complete collection. I started to try and collect as many as possible a few years ago, but was stopped by outside distractions. AFAIK, this is a relatively untapped source of iformation on LW aircraft.

Best Regards,

ArtieBob