Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 23rd September 2008, 17:42
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Das Kampfflugzeug Heinkel He 177 von Helmut Stubner

Hi Guys

Has anyone seen the above listed book? Published this year by Eurodoc in Vienna it is reviewed in the latest ÖFS nachrichten (3/08)

Said to be 640 pages with plenty of black/white photographs....

If seen can we get a comparison to the book I have, namely the one by Griehl/Dressel He 177-277-274?

Cheers
Stig
Old 25th September 2008, 20:57

Griffon is on a distinguished road
Re: Das Kampfflugzeug Heinkel He 177 von Helmut Stubner

Hello Stig!

coincidentally, I had a copy of the first production run of this book for sale a few weeks ago.
you still find the original thread for the sale here on the forum.

the new edition is greatly reworked and enhanced, compared to the first edition and I do rank it as probably the best type monograph available for any LW aircraft-period.

compared to this work, forget the Griehl/Dressel book!
that one does contain more pictures of the bird, but the Stubner book is full of great colour profiles, drawings, tables, pictures and other stuff, and the text is first rate!
not only does the text cover the development and operational history of the Greif, it also puts this in context with the LW doctrine on bombing and compares that doctrine to other airforces.
at the same time, the Greif is assessed and compared to other heavy bombers of the war;

this has only been a short description of the book, you will find much more stuff inside the 600+ pages.

It might be very hard to get copies though, the stock here in Vienna was sold pretty soon, even if the book cost nearly 90 Euros.

if you have the chance to get a copy though, do not hesitate-this title blows each and every monograph right away, actually, IMHO, this is the type of book that Classic would have been more than proud of, if it had ever done it!

cheers from Vienna
phil
Old 25th September 2008, 21:19
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Phil

First of all it sounds like a great book, but if you consider that I am a man of, well lets say minor linguistic talents (), would you say it is still a good catch for someone with minor German language skills?

If you do, do you have any idea how I can get in touch with either an Austrian retailer or the publisher if they Do sell the book?? I prefer e-mail. Strange how letter writing so quickly went out of fashion....

I have no Austrian contacts (even though I am a member of ÖFH)

Cheers
Stig
Old 26th September 2008, 11:36

Griffon is on a distinguished road

Hello Stig!

I will visit my favourite bookstore this afternoon, and they did have a copy in stock the last time I was there.
if they still have it, I could get it for you and then mail it to you-I have done this quite often for some friends over at LEMB, so it would be my pleasure to do it for you as well

and to answer your question-even if you do not read the whole text (I did not do it either with the first edition-too much books and no time to read them all ), you will still love that book.
the colour profiles are great, the armament options depicted are great, the maps, the diagrams, the tabulae, the pictures, oh I could go on here
(for example, there is a double page labelled "Tactictal mission profile for the use of the HS-293". this double page is dedicated to a typical mission, using the HS-293, it depicts the attack diagram, shows the missile and its derivatives and gives also a good profile of a HE-177 with the so called "Heissgeschirr" )

after I wrote my answer yesterday, I took that book out and browsed through it again.
to further my comments and my comparison to Classic books, this one blows all Classic books out of the water outright-and I do own all of the Classic books, so I guess I can draw that comparison...)

PM me if you are interested in getting a copy, I will do my best to locate one here in Vienna

cheers
phil
Old 26th September 2008, 15:16
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Does this include 177 losses with detail?
Old 27th September 2008, 20:25

Del Davis is on a distinguished road

The book may be purchased online from NNT Modell + Buch
http://www.nntmodell.com/index_haupt.php

cost EUR 82 $128
http://www.nntmodell.com/menu/menu-frame.php?language=e