Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 12th May 2018, 19:07
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Two R4C-1 stories ?

Great George

Thanks for the extra details. I confess I am blushing for such praise.

Unfortunately my files are tiny compared with yours.
It is a pity you don't publish your research. That would make the whole US Navy blush as well...

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th May 2018, 21:32

twocee is on a distinguished road

Stig,

I'm afraid that my interests are much narrower than yours and so I don't have that large folder on the Wright Flyer that guards your archives!

It is not easy to find material about the 1939/41 Antarctic expeditions, owing no doubt to their being overshadowed by the big War. However, one of the ships involved was USS Bear whose deployment dates are given as,

22Nov39 to 05Jun40
10Oct40 to 18May41

and so cover two Antarctic summers. She may have carried a seaplane or two.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:56
Alter Hase

Thanks for the additional details George

While it is true I have a little about a lot, you on the other hand has a lot about a little (if it is possible to call US Naval aviation history "little".... )

Anyway, for those who doesn't already know who George is, he is in my books (and many others) THE man when it comes to US Naval aviation research.

Hats off George!

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th May 2018, 14:15

You're way off with those remarks, Stig, but here is an article that gives more details of the Antarctic expedition. It mentions that two other aircraft were involved, a Beechcraft and Barkley-Grow:

http://www.usas1939.org/ashley.snow/

The General Dynamics Putnam has this on the latter aircraft:

"Another (T8P msn7/NC18470) saw service with Admiral Byrd on his third Antarctic expedition in 1939. On its return to the USA two years later, the aircraft was found to be extensively corroded by salt water and it was scrapped". There is a photo of the aircraft on page 172.
Old 13th May 2018, 17:15
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Thank you gentlemen for the fantastic information that you have provided .
My question is this - Are you saying that the two a/c that I started with were no longer USN a/c from 1939 but civil a/c. If so then what were their civil registration numbers ?
Thanks
Alex
Old 13th May 2018, 17:55
Alter Hase

Fantastic site George

A whole range of excellent photos of Bu 9585 (East Base)
Did I say it looked cold? Now I think it was worse than that....

Alex
No, I believe the expedition was under US Navy control so none of the R4C-1 carried any civil registration. Only non military aircraft leased/lent used their civil ones.

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th May 2018, 18:05

It does indeed look like a complicated set-up. One of the ships, Bear, and the two R4Cs belonged to the US Navy. The other ship, North Star, was owned by the Department of the Interior until 15 May 1941, when it transferred to the Coast Guard. The Barkley Grow was civilian---so that just leaves us with the Beechcraft, which is yet to be identified. I understand that the expedition was government funded.
Old 13th May 2018, 18:44
Alter Hase

The Beech was a model D17A c/n 357 painted bright red and registered NC20778. It later went to RAAF as A39-2.

The Australian record card states the aircraft was coming from UK which sounds a bit odd. Seems more reasonable that it was traded somehow/somewhere in 1941 to the Aussies in or near Antarctica itself. Anyone who knows?

Cheers
Stig
Old 14th May 2018, 04:18
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Stir, thanks for the update re the two a/c, so as they were soc from navy in 41 doesn't that show that they were still considered to be Navy a/c ?
Alex