Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd January 2018, 14:32

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point
12th and 107th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons - Beginning of 1944

Hello/Bonjour,

I am looking for a mission list of 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group for January, February and March 1944, and more specifically those of the 12th and 107th TRS, two Squadrons which were part of this Group and which have been operational at first. I would like to know the photographic missions which were carried out by these Squadrons over German-occupied airfields during these months. [The kind of details you can find in the book "Eyes of the Eighth: A Story of the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, 1942-1945" by Patricia Keen] Or, and if they exist, do you know where I can find and order such documents?

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 4th January 2018, 23:03
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: 12th and 107th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadrons - Beginning of 1944

Hello Frederic,
Am not 100% sure that the Group was Operational during the timeframe you ask about.
I am of the opinion that the Group, still in the UK was transitioning from the Spitfire to the P51.
Most accidents were for Spitfires and a small number were of P51's.
The Group's first MACR of 1944 was in May.
Hope this is of some use and just may attract further information from other members.
Alex
Old 5th January 2018, 07:54

Hello/Bonjour Alex,

Thank you for this initial and very interesting comment. "The 9th Air Force in WWII" Kenn C. Rust book states that - at the beginning - from the four Squadrons of the Group, the 12th and 107th TRS were operational in January, in April for the 15th and 109th TRS. I tends to believe him because I have in hands an aerial picture taken by the 67 TRG (without any other mention on the back of the photo) and according to the shadows of trees - which are without leaves, this picture seems to have been taken during the first weeks of 1944. I can be affirmative because at the time the picture was taken the target is intact. This target was later bombed, in anticipation of D-Day.

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 5th January 2018, 14:32
Alter Hase

Hello Frederic,

The other thing I earlier forgot to mention was at this time the Group was changing from 8th AAF to 9th AAF. But that would not perhaps interfere with the day by day running of Group or Squadron events ? How about the weather around that time frame ?
Alex
Old 5th January 2018, 15:02

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

Bonjour Frederic

Have you Googled on "combat chronology" or "combat chronology of the USAAF"? I am not suggesting it will give you a mission list but it might give you some more helpful leads.

Steve
Old 5th January 2018, 16:15

Hello/Bonjour,

Alex, I have heard of that change but I think that was not going a problem. Perhaps you already know but I found some interesting documents last evening in that library [Lawrence Layden scrapbook, College of Charleston Libraries, Charleston, SC, USA.]: http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu/lcdl/?f%5Bcollection_titleInfo_title_facet%5D%5B%5D=Law rence+Layden+Scrapbook%2C+1941-1945 The collection consists of a scrapbook compiled by Lawrence "Ed" Layden, an officer with the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group of the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II.

Steve - thanks for the info - I found this, so, we can already remove January for the missions carried out. MONDAY, 20 MARCH 1944 - TACTICAL OPERATIONS (Ninth Air Force): 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group completes a series of 83 missions (begun on 23 February) during which photographs were made of 160 miles (256 km) of French coastline and 2 inshore strips, each 120 miles (192 km) long; 9,500 prints are produced and no aircraft are lost.

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 6th January 2018, 19:41
Alter Hase

Hello,
Seems that your research is going well. So I'll just add that you might wish to acquire some day by day details of 67 's Squadrons opps for March from 8th & 9th AAF Losses Volume 2. Pages 391-398 has list of ops, including take off/landing times, and names of areas that were targeted. Some were Weather while others were Visual and or Photo Recce.
Example -
March 1
2 a/c - 1312-1445 - Le Treport/St. Pol area.
March 2
107 - 2 a/c - 0630-0830 - Dunkirk - St. Omer - Le Toiquet area.
67 RG - 4 a/c - 1020 - 1200 - ?
March 3
109 - 1 a/c - 0515-0708 - Poix - Lamon area.
107 - 2 a/c - 0742-0930 - Le Treport - St. Quentin
109 - 2 a/c - 0755-10007 - Ijmuiden ( unsuccessful due to weather).
109 - 2 a/c - 1321-1523 - Rosieres-en-Santere and Mountdidier.
67RG - 4 a/c - 0957-1100 - ?

Alex
Old 6th January 2018, 21:16

Hello/Bonjour Alex,

Yes, it's better than at the outset! Thank you for the samples and this avenue to find something about the missions. I am going to try to find this book - a second-hand book. [...or, otherwise,if anyone which have this book can help].

Best regards,
Frederic