Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 21st November 2018, 21:45
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Camouflages & Marques De L' Aviation Francaise 1939-1945

Available now.

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...ducts_id=10367

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 26th November 2018, 13:03
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Camouflages & Marques De L' Aviation Francaise 1939-1945

I just received a courtesy copy from the Publisher, thanks to the late author, CJE.
Very nicely and artistically done book. Many colour profiles as well. Certainly, a great source for informaiton on the topic of French markings and camouflage colours.
Old 26th November 2018, 16:58

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

I've already read it weeks ago and it's really a must have for french readers and I also advise it even if your french is not very good (and I did not say that lightly) and if your are interested in the subject (and it is not as boring at it look like !). There's not much text, all is to the essential and the iconography is very worth it.
Old 31st January 2019, 22:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Dénes/Alfred

Since I am not particularly interested in the camouflage used, I am far more interested in the markings applied to aircraft.

Back in 2000 CJE wrote issue No 1 of Aero Editions Camouflage and markings French Air Force 1938-1945.

On page 53 he began to list the French AF "buzz numbers" (an odd way of calling the true serial numbers of Adl'A) which unfortunately was very incomplete. Does the present book enlarge on this subject at all?

From what Alfred states, it sounds like the book is more or less a pictorial, which is a bit disappointing to me, even if unknown photos are always interesting to look at.

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st February 2019, 11:59

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Since I am not particularly interested in the camouflage used, I am far more interested in the markings applied to aircraft.
Good then as the book is mostly about markings.

Quote:
Back in 2000 CJE wrote issue No 1 of Aero Editions Camouflage and markings French Air Force 1938-1945.

On page 53 he began to list the French AF "buzz numbers" (an odd way of calling the true serial numbers of Adl'A) which unfortunately was very incomplete. Does the present book enlarge on this subject at all?
I have not this issue but I'm sure what you are referring are "buzz numbers" (painted under the wings). They were created as such and never used by the Armée de l'Air as serial numbers... They used the serial number painted on the tail.

You'll found a list of equivalence between serial numbers and buzz numbers in the book. But I have no idea if it is more complete than the other previously published (the only other I know was in Avions).

Quote:
From what Alfred states, it sounds like the book is more or less a pictorial, which is a bit disappointing to me, even if unknown photos are always interesting to look at.
Better a good photo and good profile than extensive text when the subject is camouflage and markings IMHO. I am not sure what you are looking for, but the book is a much comprehensive as it could be and I doubt you won't find what you are lookin for in it about markings. CJE always go straigt forward to the topic, display the big picture and did not waste word.
Old 1st February 2019, 13:23
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred.MONZAT View Post

I have not this issue but I'm sure what you are referring are "buzz numbers" (painted under the wings). They were created as such and never used by the Armée de l'Air as serial numbers... They used the serial number painted on the tail.

You'll found a list of equivalence between serial numbers and buzz numbers in the book. But I have no idea if it is more complete than the other previously published (the only other I know was in Avions).
Thanks Alfred

Now, if the serial numbers (painted under the wings) were simple buzz numbers, I cannot understand why Adl'A went to such length to come up with the system they actually did? There are/were far easier ways to do that.

Well CJE never did anything trivial or indifferent in his writing life, so maybe I end up buying the book after all....

Cheers
Stig