Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th February 2006, 16:15

Vraa84 is on a distinguished road
Mosquito and radar help needed

Hi all

Read in a book that the mosquito was harder to detect on radar because it was made of wood. Can anyone confirm if this is correct.

And in the same book it says that the German radar controlled light flak was able to shot at a specific part of a low flying plane, ex the engines. Need a confimation on this too.

Cheers
Nick
Old 19th February 2006, 21:50

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: Mosquito and radar help needed

Wooden planes and ships much harder to detect. Wood absorbs and does not reflect like metal.
Cheers
Old 20th February 2006, 10:21

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vraa84
Hi all

Read in a book that the mosquito was harder to detect on radar because it was made of wood. Can anyone confirm if this is correct.

And in the same book it says that the German radar controlled light flak was able to shot at a specific part of a low flying plane, ex the engines. Need a confimation on this too.

Cheers
Nick
Hi Nick,
There was a long discussion on another forum on this subject. Please see:
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...showtopic=1318

To your second question. No no Flak gun can be made to aim at and hit a specific part of an aircraft, and BTW German light Flak was only radar equipped on an experiental basis, I'm not sure if any of these systems were ever fielded operationally.
bregds
SES
www.gyges.dk
Old 20th February 2006, 12:47

Hi

Thanks for the answers. The insedent in question is the shellhause raid 21 march 45, one source said that a german ship in the harbour was shooting radar aimed light flak.

Cheers
Nick
Old 20th February 2006, 13:08

SES

Hi,
I was answering from memory, but now I have done a little homework. The Kriegsmarine was in the process of developing 5 systems for radar control of Flak. The EISVOGEL, the FuMO 231 EUKLID, the FuMO 232 KASSEL and the FuMO 231 EUKLID Z (all for medium Flak). For light Flak the RETTIN was under development. At the end of the war one EUKLID was mounted in a Destroyer. IAW the published sources 20 more sets were under delivery at the end of the war. So bottom line at this point is that there was no radar-controlled light Flak, but I am happy to learn otherwise. Could you please elaborate on your source?
bregds
SES
Old 20th February 2006, 14:05

Hi ses

Thanks for your answer. The source is Operation Carthage bu Kjeld Mahler sasbye. page 293.
I looked it up again, and it was medium flak (40mm) from the cruiser Nürnberg, my mistake.

Cheers Nick
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:00

Boomerang is on a distinguished road

This takes me back to my days doing college physics, many more years ago than I care to remember!

The physical principles are quite clear - the electromagnetic waves of a radar beam are reflected by electrical conductors, such as metals, which thus give a good radar signature. Electrical insulating materials, such as wood are transparent to the electromagnetic waves, which pass through them with very little reflection or absorption. Net result = wood is transparent to a radar beam.

Above was established by Hertz in his original study of electromagnetic waves.

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:09

Hi bommerang.

Perfect. thank you.

Cheers
Nick
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:31
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

But propellors make very good radar reflectors.
Old 23rd February 2006, 17:06

Andy Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang
This takes me back to my days doing college physics, many more years ago than I care to remember!

The physical principles are quite clear - the electromagnetic waves of a radar beam are reflected by electrical conductors, such as metals, which thus give a good radar signature. Electrical insulating materials, such as wood are transparent to the electromagnetic waves, which pass through them with very little reflection or absorption. Net result = wood is transparent to a radar beam.

Above was established by Hertz in his original study of electromagnetic waves.

Cheers
Whilst metal is a much more efficient reflector of radio frequency (rf) energy than wood what is as important are the dimensions of the reflector. The most efficient size for a reflector is half a wavelength of the frequency of the emitter.

Wavelength (λ) = Velocity of light (v)/Frequency (f)

as the velocity of light is constant (3x10^8 m/s) if you know the frequency of operation you can calculate the wavelength.

That is why the length of the aluminum strips in window (modern day chaff) is so important when jamming enemy radars and as Graham says why metal propellors of a certain size make such good reflectors.

Regards

Andy Fletcher