Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th May 2012, 23:16
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Looking for photos of Ju87B-1 S2+MK of 2./StG77 down 14.5.40?

Hello,

About three years ago there were two color photos sold on eBay of a Ju87B force landed during the WC/FC of May-June, 1940. These carried the code S2+MK, and were apparently taken just after the plane landed on its belly, shearing off its main landing gear. At the time, the seller captioned these as "Belgium." In a recent issue of "Luftwaffe im Focus" (17/2010, P. 22-23), one of these was published with the information that this was likely one of the losses to 2./StG77 in the area of Sedan, France, on May 14, 1940, and possibly the a/c of Lt. Sinn. This aircraft carried a W.Nr. about 2/3 of the way down the rudder on both sides in this style: "0870???" I'm trying to determine what that W.Nr. was. This style of marking the W.Nr. of I./StG77 a/c dates back prior to the Polish Campaign of 9.39, and is generally diagnostic for that unit's a/c markings for the period. I've got a large number of photos of Ju87Bs forced down on their wheels, force landed, belly landed and overturned during the WC/FC, but strangely don't find any other B & W photos that I can associate with this a/c. Several photos show W.Nr. clearly, but none of them match up with S2+MK.

Who might be able to point me to other photos of this a/c, and perhaps solve the mystery of the W.Nr. on this a/c? Obviously, I'd also like to confirm the location and crew relating to this incident as well.

Regards,