Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd January 2018, 16:55
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Bürel , Josef. Uffz, I/JG2 24 August 1942

He makes a forced landing on this date due to an engine failure. He also has a Wound Badge. Would a wound badge be awarded for an aircraft accident?

This site http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/a-2a.htm says he is wounded.

I note in the JG2 casualty website a very large number of malfunctions of aircraft leading to crashes. Is it possible this unit (often highlighted for its inaccurate claims for aerial victories) was being less than candid about combat losses?

regards

Keith
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:08
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bürel , Josef. Uffz, I/JG2 24 August 1942

I have him as Josef Bürckel and I believe yes he would have got the badge for this. JG 2 might have been suspect about its claims but as to losses, reporting them would result in resupply of material and personnel and I can see no reason why they would falsify how they were lost
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:04
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: Bürel , Josef. Uffz, I/JG2 24 August 1942

Maybe a cross-fertilisation but

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/Kra.../?q=B%C3%BCrel

also gives this name.

For the reasons that they make false claims perhaps they also make them for losses? Although I agree it does come to the same. Would there have been a difference between indenting for combat losses and indenting for mechanical failures? In terms of victory/loss combat ratio?

As to the wound badge the definition was "when the wound was the result of enemy hostile action, with an exception being for frostbite." Crash landing when your engine gives out does not cover this, unless flying in action counts as enemy hostile action. In which case a wound badge would extend to a traffic accident while on duty.

I do however take your point and that badges were awarded on some very loose criteria, much like the "Purple Heart" (awarded to James Garner of Rockford Files" fame, for being shot by his own side accidentally