Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 14th January 2018, 01:39
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Declining quality of British aviation magazines

Nothing you have said is offers much guidance to a writer or editor. Are there specific subjects you would like to see an article about?
Old 14th January 2018, 04:53

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

You weren't asking me directly Nick, but let me attempt an answer from my perspective.

The attraction of the 1980-90s AIR International magazine format, for me, was the balance of 10-page articles on modern jets (Mirage 2000, SAAB Viggen, MiG-23, etc), early post-war era (F-86 Sabre, MiG-15, Hawker Hunter, etc), WW2 historic (dH Mosquito, P-51, Boulton Paul Defiant, etc) and occasionally WW1/Between-Wars aircraft. For the aircraft with greater volume of data/details, these articles would appear over a number of issues. The sister publication AIR Enthusiast, was the avenue for the strictly historical aviation articles - e.g. USAAF use of Spitfires, Franco-Thai Air War, F-84s over Korea, expanded Fiat Cr42 article.

AIR Int. was also inbibed with modelling profiles and kit reviews, personal views of aviation (e.g. interviews/articles on test pilots, industry characters - Roy Braybrook, etc).

I don't know of any current English-language magazine that has that balance. AIR Int. doesn't do a great deal of historical articles anymore (well not in the few copies that I have purchased from the newstand in recent years), and AIR Enth. ceased after copy #131. The closest in format would be the new French Aero Journal or Avions. Alas my poor French language skills does not make a subscription from the other end of the planet, a practical option.

If I was to be asked for a sample of my personal preference, it would be for more 10-page articles on the following (or longer articles split over 2 issues):
B-58 Hustler, Su-27/30, Mirage III, Grumman Tiger, SAAB 32, Lavochkin 15, Avro Lincoln, CAC Ca-15, Dornier 26, Kawanishi H8K Emily flying boat, Hawker Fury/Demon/Hart/Nimrod (biplane).
Mixed with operational histories:
Air War over the Atlantic (Fw200, Ar196, Bv138, etc), Allison-engine Mustangs over Burma, USAAF WW2 use of remote control guided bombs, Ha-1112 Buchons in action.
Up to date news and aircraft development:
Syria, Iraq, F-35 JSF, JJ-20 "Chinese Stealth", etc
Occasional articles:
Model kit review, how to build vacform, random profiles - Fw190 in RAF, USAAF, French service, etc.
Science & tech:
Aircraft strength (why does the Fw200 snap in half so often), Engine performance versus drag (why did the radial-engine Ki-100 out perform the in-line engine Ki-61).
I'd be happy with quarterly or bi-monthly.

...geoff
Old 14th January 2018, 09:47

newcomer is on a distinguished road

I'm agree with bearoutwest. I wish to see more historical articles about older aviation from WWI and WWII, maybe Korea, with insight in achive of both side. Not only the text about flying oldtimer! Also, I wish to see much interest for foreign air forces like older authors show.

kind regards

Newcomer
Old 14th January 2018, 10:45

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jukka to tell to the community that Batailles Aériennes and Avions (French) are above the average.

Lela-Presse does a very good work and published also solid and master books.

http://www.aircraft-navalship.com/

For the French aeronautic literature you can also add Le Trait d'Union

http://www.bfab-tu.fr/

Bertrand
Old 14th January 2018, 12:36
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearoutwest View Post
You weren't asking me directly Nick, but let me attempt an answer from my perspective.

...geoff
Thanks for that, Geoff. I just thought that since Chris had drawn some editors' attention to the thread then it would be good if forum members flagged up specific topics that they would like to see covered in magazines. There's just a chance that someone out there will take notice and commission some articles.
Old 14th January 2018, 19:06
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick, the first problem with the articles as in current Aeroplane/Flypast is that they are awfully short and superficial. You may at first say that hey, it is 6 or even 8 pages (only rarely), but if of those 8 pages only 2 are text, there is simply no possibility for any comprehensivess. The Finnish aviation historical quarterly Suomen ilmailuhistoriallinen lehti has only 24 pages per issue, yet its articles are on average longer.

As for topics I would like to be covered:

1. Latest research of German WW2 aircraft. However, this seems to be today conducted mainly by French, German and other non-Anglo-American authors (like Denes Bernad) and it seems to be a rad flag to the editors of British mags.

2. WW1 aircraft in the spirit of Peter M. Grosz and J. M. Bruce.

3. Aircraft and aviation on the 1920s and 1930s. Again a vast gap in what is available.

4. Imperial Japanese aircraft and aviation, preferable ffrom authors who speak fluent Japanese.

5. Technical articles on aircraft and aircraft manufacturing up to 1945. E.g. an in-depth article series on the development of the DB 605 (and I do not mean any stuff about Black 6 or other warbirds).
Old 14th January 2018, 19:11
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

One more thing: Publishers should really think who they "target". When I was 15, I fancied these eye candy publications about modern jets (partially for not knowing English then) and what I prefer today at 44 would have been most unappealing back then. Today, I wouldn't even touch most of that eye candy anymore. Yet, today, I spent much more money on books than back then. In other words, should aviation publishers target youngsters who have no real long-term commitment to the subject or those who are willing to spend money for years and years.