Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th June 2005, 20:50

Jon
BF110 Nightfighter gunner claims

I own a superb painting "Duel in the Dark" showing a BF110 Nightfighter that has undershot a Lancaster, the 110's Gunner has opend fire on the Lanc as they have passed underneath.

Did many / any Luftwaffe Nightfighter gunners claim RAF four engined bombers with their relative light defensive weapons?

Did any ever shoot down an attacking Mosquito ?
Old 12th June 2005, 17:28

Peter Spoden
Re: BF110 Nightfighter gunner claims

Hello Jon,

claims by rear-gunners during night-fighting were very seldom. I remember one case in the night 15.March 1945 when Tino Becker was in the bomberstream, had shot down several 4-eng-planes and was out of ammunition.He flew forward, he told me, and his radio-operator Karl-Ludwig Johannsen shot down three more aircraft.
I dont know about any claim of mosquito by reargunner.

regards Peter Spoden
Old 12th June 2005, 17:55

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

..I was wondering about this having just translated some extracts from Fritz Rumpelhardt's memoir..(Schnaufer Bordfunker) ..perhaps this is the same exploit he refers to on P59 - describing the 03 November 1943 Köln raid when Schnaufer's cannon refused to fire, Rumpelhardt writes, "..how likely is it that a Bordfunker could shoot down three bombers with his twin MGs after the standard armament had refused to function..!? "....bit of rhetorical question no doubt..not very..
Old 12th June 2005, 23:20

Erich

Peter I am sure you are still in contact with Karl Johanssen ? Wonderful man !

he told me of some length the victories- 9 of them that Becker and he scored. Karl shot down 3 RAF heavies, 2 Lancs and a 100th group B-17 which I have quite a bit of information on........the second Lancaster downed by Karl was during: putting out a radio fire; 23.15hrs near Unterschlauersbach. // Ju 88G-6, 2Z+MF

Ace and Staffelkapitän of 5./NJG 2, Erich Jung had his bordfünker also take out a RAF Lancaster with their single 13mm MG 131 in their Ju 88G-6 on the night of March 16/17 45
Old 13th June 2005, 01:50

Erich

Ritterkreuzträger Johannes Richter as Bordfünker claimed a 4 engine a/c with his mg. Am not sure what unit he was flying with at the time of this incident; NJG 2, 3, 100 or 5 ?

E ~
Old 13th June 2005, 05:13

Six Nifty .50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Did many / any Luftwaffe Nightfighter gunners claim RAF four engined bombers with their relative light defensive weapons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon

Did any ever shoot down an attacking Mosquito ?

I don't see why not. Most of the flexible guns used by both sides were powerful enough to bring down any aircraft with liquid-cooled engines.

While I haven't studied German anti-Mosquito successes at length, I do know that the RAF sometimes did it for them. After taking off on the evening of August 3rd, 1944 an RAF Mosquito of 219 Squadron misidentified and attacked a Short Stirling bomber which returned fire (with their relatively light .303 defensive weapons) and shot down the Mosquito near Maupertus. I don't know which gun position scored the fatal hits.
Old 13th June 2005, 09:55

Peter Spoden

Hello Erich,

I am always impressed how much you know about nightfighting. In Gebhard Aders book "Geschichte der Deutschen Nachtjagd" I found the name of Jungs Bordfunker: Fw. Heidenreich. Aders gives also about 50 claims of nightfighters against Mosquitos.
By the way David Williams is writing a book about Tino Becker and NJG 6.

Regards to Oregon Peter
Old 14th June 2005, 21:04

Jon

Thanks to all the responses. The role of the Airgunner has always fascinated me as they were the last resort and i had always wondered about that painting !

Again thanks for the information.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:30
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi

On 10th June 1944 Herbert Lutje claimed two lightnings at 0829hrs and 0831hrs, the second was accedited(on micro Films) to his gunner Ofw Bogumil!

Johannes