Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 28th December 2006, 17:32
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
New Books: De Operaties van 320 Squadron

Just came back from the local aviation book shop (Luchtvaart Hobby Shop, Aalsmeer).

Although I didn't manage to get what I was looking for (*) I was surprised to find what must be destined to become a new classic on Dutch military / naval aviation. The last time I didn't buy that kind of book it was Camouflage en Kentekens, need I say more...

De Vliegtuigen van 320 Squadron
Royal Dutch Naval Air Service 1940 - 1946
Nico Geldhof
ISBN 90-672-0397-1
325p Laminated hard cover

&

De Operaties van 320 Squadron
Royal Dutch Naval Air Service 1940 - 1946
Nico Geldhof
ISBN 90-672-0396-3
500p Laminated hard cover

Vliegtuigen has its focus on the aircraft, Operaties on the aircrew and operations. You can find a short resumé on the publisher's site:

http://www.geromy.nl/index.php?optio...104&Itemid=120

If these books are as good as I think they are it will pay off to act soon, dutch aviation books tend to be printed in limited numbers only and seldom reprinted.

If 322 Sqn received the same treatment, I'd really be in hog heaven! One can only hope...

*Het verlies van Java, een kwestie van airpower

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 18th February 2007, 15:44

Re: New Books: De Operaties van 320 Squadron

After finishing both volumes I can say that they were worth the purchasing price.

Although both are good, the Operational Record deserves most of the praise and attention. The Aircraft book is very much a companion volume that you could do without without losing much of the overall picture.

With some minor mistakes the Operational Record is a worthy addition to any dutch collection. Well written, although sometimes a little archaic in style, packed with photographs and statistics. Even if you don't read dutch this might still be an interesting pictorial history.

No. 320 was based on escapees from the MLD, served with Coastal Command flying Hudson, before joining Bomber Command and later 2nd TAF flying Mitchells. It had a varied career, and later became a veritable multinational force, although always keeping its Naval heritage.

Minor note of criticism. Although Geldhof mentions the sad fact that 320 Sqd. was finally disbanded in 2005, he doesn't cover the post war period at all. The author could have covered the post war history with a page or two, which would have placed its final disbandment in the proper historical context.

Of course, this is a very minor issue that doesn't detract from the work he did provide us: an excellent unit history on an (very) interesting squadron (especially for the Dutch).

Recommended.

Old 29th July 2007, 12:04

JMSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Ruy,

given that i don't read or speak Dutch, would you consider them worth the price just for the images? if so are they unseen images or just the old one rehashed.
i could really do with one or both of these books but when you consider they are just for my profile i have to spend very wisely.
Old 29th July 2007, 15:13

John,

Unfortunately I am not qualified to answer that question. I do not have an extensive library on the Dutch forces in WW2 and even my pictorial content on the Allied AFs in general is limited. To me many images were new, but in this case your mileage may very.

I am sorry that I can't help you with this question.

Old 13th September 2008, 16:53

Update:

Shortly after the release of the first two volumes a third one was announced that was announced dealing first and foremost with the men of 320 Sqn.

"Alle hens" van 320 Squadron
"Regina et Patria"
Personeelsbestand No. 320 Sqn. 1940 - 1946
Nico Geldhof
ISBN n/a
148p Laminated hard cover

It took a while before I decided to add this book to the collection, but today I went out and bought a copy to complete this unit history.

Too be honest I'm disappointed in the content, both text and photographic.

The third volume isn't good value for money as a seperate work the way it has been published and the material would have been better if integrated with the previous volumes (albeit by leaving some of it out alltogether). As a seperate volume it simply lacks content. Although the personnel photos are good, much of the other material is not. It would have been nice if Geldhof had used the opportunity of a third volume to expand a little on the post war activities of the squadron, just to finish his story.

Old 13th September 2008, 20:00
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Some review you have here:

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2...-320-squadron/

Cheers
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758

Last edited by Pilot; 13th September 2008 at 20:01. Reason: I forget to add one link