Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 1st March 2022, 13:54
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Marvin E. Barnett NSN: 0-83347

I believe Barnett may have been a seaplane pilot of the USS Honolulu at Pear Harbor in December 1941. Was he a member of VCS-9?

I have a note that he flew in a PBY in 1942 but as an observer.

Does anyone know more about his WW2 career.

He later led a squadron of F2H Banshees in Korea 1951-52.

regards

Keith
Old 1st March 2022, 14:20
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Marvin E. Barnett NSN: 0-83347

From a Facebook page of the Florida United Methodist Children's Home:

"In 1926, Marvin E. “Barney” Barnett was placed at the Florida Methodist Orphanage along with three brothers. He lived there for nine years until he graduated with distinction in academics and athletics from Deland High School in 1935. He graduated from Florida Southern College in 1939 with similar honors, and enlisted in the Navy. After completing his training in Pensacola, Florida, he was commissioned as an Ensign in the US Navy in 1940, and was serving as the Officer on Deck aboard the USS Honolulu the morning the Japanese attacked the American fleet at Pearl Harbor.

Barney went on to fly seventy-one missions in WWII, including campaigns at Midway, Guadalcanal, Kiska and the Solomon Islands. He also flew seventy-six combat missions during the Korean War, and went on to serve in Vietnam.

During his career, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two stars, the Air Medal with eight stars, the Navy unit Commendation Ribbon, the American Campaign Medal, Pacific Campaign Medal with eleven stars, and the Korean Service medal.

Following his military service, he retired with his family to Maitland, Florida, to be close to his beloved childhood home, now known as the Florida United Methodist Children’s Home. Barney was a member of our Board of Trustees for many years and served as Chairman of the Board as well. He was a tireless advocate for the ministry and the children in our care. We owe a special thank you to the service and leadership of Capt. Marvin Barnett."

Also see http://www.uss-bennington.org/co-196...E-Barnett.html

Regards,
Leendert

Last edited by Leendert; 1st March 2022 at 14:29. Reason: Additional info
Old 2nd March 2022, 08:23
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road

Thanks Leendert, that's what I found too.. I believe he was abaord s PBY at Midway but not as a member of it's regular crew.

best regards

Keith
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:28

R Leonard is an unknown quantity at this point

Barnett was indeed in VCS-9. He shows up assigned there, an Ensign, in the April 1941 Navy Directory - Officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. From various USN and USNR officers registers: Ensign on 15 July 1940; promoted to Lieutenant, USNR AV(N) on 1 Oct 1942; augmented to the regular Navy, Lieutenant, USN on 1 Mar 1943; and promoted to Lieutenant Commander, USN on 17 Mar 1945. He was designated Naval Aviator # 6595 on 10 Aug 1940 at NAS Pensacola.

Don't have a date for his promotion to Lieutenant (jg), (sometime after Pearl Harbor) and I don't keep track of people after 31 Dec 1945. From the USS Bennington blurb it looks like he left VF-17A just before my father took command.