Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd June 2023, 16:14
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Aufkl.Gr.123 airmen's information required

Good morning to all members.

Am looking for more details, if possible, of two airmen from Aufkl.Gr.123:

1- P Jonas or Oberfeldwebel Helmuth Jonas (wounded, killed or decorated on 9 or 4 April 1944)
2- F Fürstenberg

It may be the same person related on De Zeng file here:
FÜRSTENBERG, Friedrich Leopold, Freiherr von. 17.06.39 Hptm., in Fl.Ausb.Rgt. 26

I tried on several sources, but got no joy in finding references to those airmen.

Any directions, most welcomed.

Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:01
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Aufkl.Gr.123 airmen's information required

Ofw Helmuth Jonas of 2./123 was shot down over Cyprus 29 Apr 44 by Sgt E A Stringer of 213 Sqn and apparently he and his crew were captured
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:03
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

1944-04-29, 2.(F)/123, Ju 88 A-4 (Ho), 300134, 4U+BK, Cypern
Flugzeugführer Ofw Jonas, Helmuth, gefangen
Beobachter Lt Effenberger, Alfred, gefangen
Bordfunker Uffz Singer, Heinrich, gefangen
Bordschütze Uffz Warnke, Siegfried, gefangen
Luftkampf mit Spitfire. Bruch 100 %.

Matti
Old 23rd June 2023, 20:53
Alter Hase

Chris and Matti,

My DEEPEST GRATITUDE for your most valuable and kind information.

I believe that the person who wrote behind made a big mistake. There is a great possibility of the airmen informed as "Fürstenberg" may actually be Jonas' Beobachter, Leutnant Effenberger.

Again my GRATITUDE for both of you.

Adriano
Old 23rd June 2023, 23:14
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have a photo of Jonas and his usual crew if that helps. The loss of a Hptm would rarely be mistaken in my opinion
Old 24th June 2023, 11:30
Alter Hase

Chris,

Those names fo appear behind a "Feindflugfeier" celebration along that of Bournot and Weixelbaum, which were clearly written. Only those two names were poorly written and without rank, although that of Oberfeldwebel Helmuth Jonas was later amended by someone else.

The probable mistake of my part was not regarding the loss of a Hauptmann, but rather probably confusing his Family name (written in old German) on the back of the image. And before the F Fürstenberg or Effenberg(er) there is no rank.

Amongst the FÜRSTENBERG listed on De Zeng's Files on the LW Officers, only this Hauptmann who attended Fl.Ausb.Rgt. 26 would "probably" fit, since we do not know his later career in the LW.

With Matti's answer, we do have a great probability of the airman being Obfw Jonas' Beobachter, which was named Effenberger. They are both wearing Schimmweste and full gear, just after a reconaissance sortie.

Since Weixelbaum was lost on the night of 4/5 September 1944, I would guess that the image was taken before that.

Sadly there is no mention to the number of the Feindflug...maybe an ordinary sortie or difficult sortie that was celebrated by some crewmembers of 2./Aufkl.Gr.123...

Am trying to obtain a copy of the 100th catapult launching of Lt-zur-See Rosenbaum on the Tirpitz. I have seen this image on one of your books. If you could help me with that one, it would be greatly appreciated for the 2 volumes of the forthcoming "Feindflügenfeiern" book.

I was pretty busy last 4 months and unable to conclude this work, which am trying to finish whenever I do have a free time available.

Most humbly yours,

Adriano S. Baumgartner