Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd July 2023, 01:33

KM1957 is on a distinguished road
Re: Location for air battles on 5th of April 1945

Stig,

I am not sure of how/why different variations were used, but my personal preference is to use TRS to represent Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron (or Group for TRG), i.e. gun-carrying ships. The non-gun carrying units I always use PRS, for Photo Reconnaissance Squadron. This is just my way of designating them but whether they are the official terms or not is unknown to me. I cannot speak for Frank, but possibly he used RCN to shorten typing out Tact Recon Sqn; he abbreviated Ftr Sqn, again I assume, to save time/space in his works. Perhaps someone else has the background on this, unfortunately, it was a question I never thought to ask him when he was alive.

Kent
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:19
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Location for air battles on 5th of April 1945

Alex and Kent

Thank You both for your answers.
To be 100% truthful, I have never paid much attention really to what these Sqs/Grps were called....

However in this case the RCN title stood out in such a manner that I actually took a look in Frank's work
and thus asked you Kent.

Before that I looked up some of them in Maurer Maurer, but that did not give me anything since he does not
use abbreviations at all.

So for the time being I accept that RCN was some kind of "home made" expression used by Frank

Thank again Guys
Cheers
Stig