Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th July 2020, 17:01
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Peter Butterworth - Actor & FAA pilot

Many of you who have watched a 'Carry On' film from the UK will know Peter Butterworth by sight if not by name. He was a Fleet Air Arm pilot in WW2

Peter William Shorrocks Butterworth was born 4th February 1919 and died tragically just short of his 60th birthday on 16th January 1979).

He was a Fleet Air Arm pilot who was shot down by Bf109s and made POW in a Fairey Albacore L7089 of 826 NAS on a mission from Bircham Newton to attack De Kooy airfield and Den Helder naval base. His Observer S/L VJ Dyke was killed and his Air Gunner, LA RJ Jackson was wounded. Both survivors became POWs but sadly Leading Airman Jackson died as a POW on 18th January 1945. I understand that occurred on the POW march away from the advancing Soviet Army but have no confirmation of that.

According to Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-45 by Ray Sturtivant occurred on 21-22nd June1940. The CWGC have Victor Dyke's date of death as 21st June 1940

Can anyone provide more details of his FAA service and who might have shot him down?

Last edited by Larry; 10th July 2020 at 19:27.
Old 10th July 2020, 17:06
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Peter Butterworth - Actor & FAA pilot

21 June 1940 claimed by 3./JG 51-Schreiter, zur Lage and Graf. Google him-there is quite a bit on his POW history thanks to his son
Old 10th July 2020, 19:29
Alter Hase

Thanks Chris,

I wonder why it is recorded as an attack on 21 / 22nd June which suggests a night attack by 826 NAS, of which they did many

Yet it seems take-off was 15.25 hrs so still daylight when Schreiter and co attacked (on the shortest day of the year). I'm not sure how long an Albacore would take to fly to the Dutch Coast but I guess it was still light! Rather suicidal I think.
Old 11th July 2020, 00:16

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know when he began to use 'Peter' as his first name ? In various Navy Lists from 1939 to 1942 he is always listed as William Shorrocks Butterworth.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 11th July 2020, 00:33
Alter Hase

I also wondered if it is a postwar change so as not to be 'Billy' Butterworth for his acting career. I suppose his birth certificate would confirm that, and even the FAA Aircraft 1939-45 by Ray Sturtivant (Air Britain) lists him as WS Butterworth which I guess Ray got off official documents for 1940.
Old 11th July 2020, 02:17

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

At 1555, Uffz. Fritz Schreiter claimed a "Biplane" which was Albacore L7081 of 826 sqn FAA (from HMS Peregrine). Lt. James L M Bell, SubLt. Frank B Hookins and N A1c Robert G Poole all KIA

At 1602, Gefr. Heinz zur Lage claimed a "Twin-engined aircraft" that was actually L7111 of 826 sqn FAA (from HMS Peregrine). N A C J C Homer WIA, SubLt. P D Urwin and SubLt. G S Dormad both safe. Returned with repairable damage (slight overclaiming)

And at t 1612, Fw. Albin Graef claimed a "Dragon Rapide" which was actually Albacore L7089 of 826 sqn FAA (from HMS Peregrine). SubLt. Victor J Dyke POW-DOW, Sublt. J William S "Peter" Butterworth and N A Robert J Jackson (died 18.1.45) both POW

SOURCE: The Battle Of France Then And NOW, p.496.

Hope this helps...
Old 11th July 2020, 11:38
Alter Hase

Thanks all for your contributions.

Some sources say that Peter joined the RAF which may make sense if it was before May 1939 when the RN had not yet taken full control of the FAA. In FAA Aircraft Units & Ships 1920-1939 by Air Britain, Ray Sturtivant lists Sub Lt. WS Butterworth, as attending '34 O Course' and '3 P Course' - presumably Observer and Pilot Courses but do the numbers confirm a date and place?

I'm trying to build up a picture of his service career. Also post war it is said he returned to service or perhaps re-joined which might suggest a VR position, while kick starting his acting carer?
Old 13th July 2020, 13:14
Alter Hase

More info found here;

http://www.626-squadron.co.uk/willem25.htm

However I'd still like to find out more on how Leading Airman Robert J Jackson died as a POW on 18th January 1945. Was it on a prisoner march?

Last edited by Larry; 13th July 2020 at 14:33.