Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 27th June 2023, 19:01
Kaczmarek Kaczmarek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Saxoniae
Posts: 433
Kaczmarek is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

According to Eric a german edition will not be released before 2024.

René
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 1st July 2023, 09:42
Erik Mombeeck Erik Mombeeck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 175
Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Hello,

Thank you for this thread and your interest in the final volume of a chronicle that has kept me busy for decades. It has given me enormous pleasure to talk to these veterans, which has enabled me to put the human aspect before figures and statistics in all my books.

Well, René, my translator and, above all, friend of more than 30 years, Hans Berger, former Stk. of JG 1, will be a hundred years old next October. Although he's doing well, I can't see myself burdening him again with a long translation (there's a lot of text again in this latest volume). So I'd rather not talk too much about a German version at this stage.

As for Jukka's kind words ("disastrous marketing"), I must confess that I don't care about marketing. I wrote these books for pleasure and not to gain anything from them. I'm happy to produce them first in my mother language because I love writing and reading in French. And if Hans translated them into German, it was so that the veterans and families I contacted could read the results of my lengthy research: the description of a tragic time and a tragic circumstance that cost so many young and promising lives.

So I have no plan of producing an English version of this chronicle. In any case, very few members of this forum purchased the first volume in English and it seems to me that those who wish to deepen their knowledge of the Luftwaffe history cannot afford to miss out on learning German.

As I write in the epilogue to this latest volume, I've done what I could with what little I had and I'll be relieved to discover my latest 'big book' even though I'll probably never read it.

Best regards
Erik
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 1st July 2023, 11:15
Jukka Juutinen Jukka Juutinen is offline
Alter Hase
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,179
Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Erik, it's no wonder that very few bought the English edition if the marketing is "don't care about". No private business effort survives today without marketing.
__________________
"No man, no problem." Josef Stalin possibly said...:-)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 1st July 2023, 13:19
NoNo01 NoNo01 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Breitstetten (20 km east of Vienna)
Posts: 108
NoNo01 is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Erik.

Bad news for us german speakers.
I bought almost every book of yours, in german and English.
It would be a pity if I miss out on the last volume of JG 2 History. (In german)

But hope dies last, so let’s see …

Schoene Gruesze

Norbert
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 1st July 2023, 18:14
Adriano Baumgartner Adriano Baumgartner is offline
Alter Hase
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,884
Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Erik,

Humble words those of yours which enhance further the amazing and incredible Historical work you have done during the years, to preserve the history of some of the most famous Jagdgeschwadern of the Luftwaffe. It is really inspiring.

I humbly "take my hat" and congratulate you. Keep going and a big hug from those Souths Lands.

Adriano
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 1st July 2023, 19:55
edwest2 edwest2 is offline
Alter Hase
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,528
edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Erik, it's no wonder that very few bought the English edition if the marketing is "don't care about". No private business effort survives today without marketing.
Jukka,

I think Erik's reasoning was clear. There are too many self-published authors out there who are producing books that are not worth reading.
In this case, the hallmarks are there. Decades of research and perseverance. Google translate can translate any language at no cost.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 1st July 2023, 20:52
leonventer leonventer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 330
leonventer is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your post -- very enlightening. I greatly appreciate all the research and writing you've done, and I admire the spirit in which you did it. Performing such a monumental labor of love is something the Jukkas of this world will never understand, so you needn't pay them any mind.

I have the German and English editions of every one of your publications, so I'm fervently hoping that the final JG 2 volume will eventually be published in German, but if not, I'll gladly get the French edition. (Just a thought: If Herr Berger is no longer able to do the translation, could someone like Neil Page do it instead?)

Thanks again and best wishes,
Leon Venter
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:55
Jukka Juutinen Jukka Juutinen is offline
Alter Hase
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,179
Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Jukka,


I think Erik's reasoning was clear. There are too many self-published authors out there who are producing books that are not worth reading.
In this case, the hallmarks are there. Decades of research and perseverance. Google translate can translate any language at no cost.
You have to be joking! Google translate? 🤣🤣🤣 The quality of that is appalling (not even a short YouTube commentary is correctly translated) and if someone seriously suggests that one first should pay premium money for a book and then use effing Google translate to actually read it should have his head examined. That whole process is no longer reading, it is travesty.
__________________
"No man, no problem." Josef Stalin possibly said...:-)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 5th July 2023, 05:15
taitbb taitbb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 146
taitbb is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Thank you Erik. Still hopeful, but I understand. Thank you for the all the works to date regardless of the language.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Mombeeck View Post
Hello,

Thank you for this thread and your interest in the final volume of a chronicle that has kept me busy for decades. It has given me enormous pleasure to talk to these veterans, which has enabled me to put the human aspect before figures and statistics in all my books.

Well, René, my translator and, above all, friend of more than 30 years, Hans Berger, former Stk. of JG 1, will be a hundred years old next October. Although he's doing well, I can't see myself burdening him again with a long translation (there's a lot of text again in this latest volume). So I'd rather not talk too much about a German version at this stage.

As for Jukka's kind words ("disastrous marketing"), I must confess that I don't care about marketing. I wrote these books for pleasure and not to gain anything from them. I'm happy to produce them first in my mother language because I love writing and reading in French. And if Hans translated them into German, it was so that the veterans and families I contacted could read the results of my lengthy research: the description of a tragic time and a tragic circumstance that cost so many young and promising lives.

So I have no plan of producing an English version of this chronicle. In any case, very few members of this forum purchased the first volume in English and it seems to me that those who wish to deepen their knowledge of the Luftwaffe history cannot afford to miss out on learning German.

As I write in the epilogue to this latest volume, I've done what I could with what little I had and I'll be relieved to discover my latest 'big book' even though I'll probably never read it.

Best regards
Erik
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12th July 2023, 14:05
Peter Kassak's Avatar
Peter Kassak Peter Kassak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 974
Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 2 The Final Chapter

Jukka, can you please publish here list of your books written, published in Finish or multilanguage please?
__________________
Peter Kassak
peterkassak (aT) gmail.com
http://www.airwarsk.sk


also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Birth/Death details of non Ritterkreuz 50+ aces Johannes Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 59 15th May 2023 14:38
JG 11 - claims march-april 45 GMichalski Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 0 24th May 2012 16:23
Erich Hohagen waterloo Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 4 18th January 2012 00:13
Claims and losses JG51 AreKal Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 5 24th July 2011 07:56
Luftwaffe Losses 26th.July 1944 Brian Bines Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 3 2nd April 2011 15:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, 12oclockhigh.net