Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 9th February 2009, 17:47
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: F4U-4 in action in Okinawa, 1945

With so many experts, any of you able to either proof or disproof that cannon armed dash 4s were active over Okinawa? I'm getting mixed information on this particular subject.

We know that cannon armed -1Cs saw action over Okinawa, but some sources claim that there were also -4 (is it B?) cannon birds, although others claim this type so no operational service (or was it action, been a while) in WW2.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 9th February 2009, 20:19

twocee is on a distinguished road

The F4U-4B entered squadron service with VF58 in June 1946, The first Marine squadron was VMF224 in April 1947.

VMFs311, 314 and 422 had the cannon-armed F4U-1Cs at Okinawa.
Old 9th February 2009, 21:55

twocee is on a distinguished road

sorry, finger trouble---for VMF422 read VMF441, in previous post
Old 10th February 2009, 04:59

R Leonard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron44 View Post
Hello all:
I was less than a year old when the Battle of Okinawa took place so I have no first hand knowledge to add. However, my brother-in-law served on the USS Chenango-CVE28-during the early part of 1945. He recently e-mailed me asking about something that happened on board. I attach his comments...
Although no squadron of F4U's operated off carriers in the pacific, we trained a marine squadron of 28 F4U's on our way from Seattle to Pearl Harbor. Nobody could figure out why were training Marine pilots flying F4U's. It was total secrecy.

As far as I know, no marine squadrons were assigned to carrier duty. All carrier squadrons were Navy. Anyway, the other interesting thing is that the training consisted exclusively on night launchings and landings. They kept it up every night, in total darkness, for two weeks that we took to get to Pearl. Of the 28 corsairs, 22 were lost or damaged. My office was in the rear of the hanger deck but up high and to the right and immediately under the flight deck. I could hear them slamming into the deck all night as they came in. My quarters were just about the spot where they first hit the deck as they came in.

Perhaps it was a one time raid that the Marines wanted to pull on the Japanese somewhere and it was important enough to warrant all the time and cost and equipment expended. Nobody has ever explained what this was all about.

At any rate, the Navy never took to the F4U. They were not easy to fly and, more important, the Navy could buy 3 F6F hellcats for the cost of one F4U.

I wonder if there is any reference to this somewhere on the internet?
Does anyone have any knowledge of this that I might share with him?

Thanks a bunch!

George
-

George

Look at message #10 on page one of this thread and you’ll find a long list of just F4U-4 aircraft assigned to many squadrons, many of which were USN VF or VBF squadrons operating off carriers in combat. And that leaves out the USN squadrons with F4U-1D’s and FG-1D’s of which there were several operating off carriers.

You can find all this data in the USN aircraft location reports
http://www.history.navy.mil/a-record/ww-ii/loc-ac/loc-ac.htm

Where, also, if you look hard you will find various VMF squadrons operating off CVEs. You’ll also find VMFs operating off CVs as part of USN air groups. In fact, there was one USN air group that was briefly commanded by a Marine in the course of its deployment, CVG-4 aboard USS Essex, LTC William Millington. There were two F4U equipped VMFs operating off Essex at the time, VMF-124 and VMF-213, the other fighter squadron aboard was VF-4 operating F6Fs. The aircraft location report for 16 Jan 1945, for example, shows these assignments http://www.history.navy.mil/a-record/ww-ii/loc-ac/1945/jan1945/16-1-45.pdf. Millington took over CVG-4 when the CAG Cdr Otto Klinsmann was killed in action on 15 Jan 1945.

So, really, there were plenty of F4Us operating off carriers, both USN and USMC.

Rich
Old 16th January 2010, 22:32

kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruy Horta View Post
With so many experts, any of you able to either proof or disproof that cannon armed dash 4s were active over Okinawa? I'm getting mixed information on this particular subject.

We know that cannon armed -1Cs saw action over Okinawa, but some sources claim that there were also -4 (is it B?) cannon birds, although others claim this type so no operational service (or was it action, been a while) in WW2.
Ruy, according to Sherrod's history, on 7 April 1945 F4U-4Cs from VMF-311 downed a "Lily" attacking shipping off Okinawa. This is listed as the first action for the 20mm armed version of the F4U-4.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:39

Wendy Darling is on a distinguished road

Hi fellas,

My grandpa was a Marine pilot in WWII and flew a Corsair. I was looking up some info on Google and came across this thread and thought I'd chime in. I'm NO EXPERT, but I thought I'd pass along some info at least...

Here's a neat site that has a little info about his squadron:

http://warlords.hobbyvista.com/history.htm

(My grandpa is in the 1st guy in the top row of the 2nd pic)

This guy made a movie about the squadron:

http://bluedevilsmovie.com/

Not sure if this helps answer your original question, but I thought it was interesting at least! ;-)

~Wendy
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:03

rled1934 is on a distinguished road

I wrote the book Corsair author Raymond L Ledesma.
this histrical fiction story outlines VMF- 124. that squadron flew F4U's off the deck of the USS Essex in 1945 in the Okinawa battle. Novel avaiable at Amazon in book or digital format.Attachment 13176
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:10

Iwrote a novel, Corsair-author Raymond L Ledesma, about Marine Sqd. VMF-124.
This group took the Corsairs (F4U's) to fight in the Pacific durring WWII. good read avaiable in Amazon book or digital format.
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:30

VMF-124 was the first Marine group to take the F4U's to combat off carriers , USS Essex. complete history of that Sqaudron is covered in my Novel Corsair- Raymond L Ledesma Available at amazon.com in book or digital format
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:35

VMF-124 was first Marines to take the F4U's to carriers. complete story can be found in my Novel Corsair-Raymond L Ledesma, amazon.com Available in Book or digital forma. Great read.