Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 13th October 2021, 23:38

twocee is on a distinguished road
Re: Photo Curtiss Aircraft

Stig,

My information came from an article in the Summer 1975 issue of the AAHS Journal. The US Navy was very much involved as the C-2 was a Navy aircraft and the principal pilot for the tests seems to have been Lt. Patrick Bellinger. I think that is Bellinger in the cockpit of the e-bay photo.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:01
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Aha Nick (thanks)

With regard to No 43, good to know the exact reason it was burned.

Thanks for the Arbon update. Many, many years ago I decided to stop buying books about people. It was a simple space saving measure and not because people are uninteresting. It is easy enough to see they are not, just look at us....

George
Thanks for you source. Yes Bellinger was the pilot who basically flew all the Sperry test flight between 30 Aug 1913 until it was delivered to the Navy in October.

On the posted photo Bellinger is sitting in the cockpit on its right side (at least I think that is what Casari means). The man who is leaning against the aircraft seemingly with a steady grip of it is Elmer Sperry himself.

I have no idea why Casari does not mention the French adventure with this aircraft. A real puzzle....

Cheers
Stig
Old 17th October 2021, 14:43
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Currently on ebay are a variety of Curtiss JN-4 photos as follows:

Curtiss JN-4 124

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11504663773...8AAOSwJiBhaMs5

Curtiss JN-4D School of Photography

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17496864803...8AAOSwSkhhXyKu

Curtiss JN-4HT 38167

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26536417967...0AAOSwCo5ha3lc

Regards,

Clint
Old 12th November 2021, 08:53
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a photo of a Curtiss flying boat being demonstrated to the Russian Navy at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12499914012...MAAOSwNqdhjcSo

Regards,

Clint
Old 12th November 2021, 11:47
Alter Hase

A known but never-the-less excellent photo.

It shows the first Curtiss F basically just after arrival to Sevastopol, where it was tested between 16 Sep to 5 Nov 1913. Even Glenn Curtiss was together with his men on this trip.

The photo I have (in the book American Hydroaeroplanes in Russia 1912-17 by Andrei Alexandrov) gives credit to T Darcey, but no doubt it was acquired by many collectors back in time.

Alexandrov (Darcey?) gives the following names from right to left:
S.O. Ochs
V.V. Utgof
I.I. Stakhovsky
C. Witmer or J. Cooper

Where Lt 'Pete' Goff comes from is a mystery. The back side of the photo does not mention him, while Utgof (Utgoff) is pretty clear, so maybe a mistake? He is not listed in the book and was not among the Curtiss team in Russia between 1912-17.
None of the others are identified, but Woodhouse seems to mention one (or both?) of the Russian Naval officers by name. Anyone who can read what it says? Dupont does not sound very Russian to me....

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th November 2021, 12:11

twocee is on a distinguished road

The notes on the back of the photo state "Lieut Utgof at the wheel".

It may be just a coincidence but Lt Vladimir V. Utgoff was a US Navy PBY pilot in WWII.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:54
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a photo of a Curtiss Model F in Italy with John Callan at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12500621017...4AAOSw1gJhlC7I

I assume based on Stig's comments on the Model F being demonstrated to the Russian Navy,that this photo may already be known. Therefore rather than provide seperate links to other John Callan related photos here is one link for them all:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...allan&_sacat=0

Regards,

Clint
Old 17th November 2021, 15:13
Alter Hase

No idea how well known (published) these photos from Woodhouse are.

The previous photo (in Russia) was probably taken elsewhere since the credit was different.

It seems Curtiss sold four of these flying boats to Italy while 24 more were built under license by Zari in 1915.

I don't quite follow why the present seller claims John Callan has to be the one dressed up in an Italian naval uniform. The individual looks Italian to me, while the rather more casually dressed individual beside him, fits more an individual like Callan.

Cheers
Stig
Old 17th November 2021, 16:09
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Thanks for the reply.

Personally, I'm undecided as to whether it is Callan or not in the uniform.Mauro Antonellin's Salvet Ubi Lucet has a section devoted to him,with among other things a photo of his pilot's licence from 1912. It could be the same guy,but the one in the Curtiss looks somewhat heavier. Could be good italian food I suppose.

It mentions 22.09.14 and his demonstration flight in the first Flying Boat constructed in Italy.I rather wonder if that isn't what the ebay photo shows.But ultimately unknowable I guess.

Regards,

Clint
Old 5th December 2021, 09:49
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a nice photo of Curtiss Model F serial C-5 of the US Navy at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40333717363...MAAOSwdU9buhl0

Regards,

Clint