Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 18th June 2020, 06:12
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: eArticle available: 'The Life of Otto Kittel'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusel View Post
Good evening Andrew,

that makes 265 kills. I suggest assuming that Otto Kittel's official score of 267 includes his two unconfirmed claims on 30.6.1941 (maybe confirmed later?) but not the claim on the day he died (because he didn't live to do the paperwork).

All the best to you and your projects,

Michael
Hello Knusel, I have looked at many German pilots that were killed in action and received credits to there scores afterwards. Comrades, I figured filed claims for them. I can give you the example of Hans Beisswenger on his last dogfight in which he was killed, there were no Soviet losses in that fight. I am a real admirer of Beisswenger and his scoring, which is very close and accurate for the most part. Some lesser scoring German pilots achieving 1 to 3 kills that I found in some cases no matching losses, appear to be made for the dead pilot, probably to provide the family with a Iron Cross either 2nd or 1st Class to the family.
Old 18th June 2020, 14:53
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Good afternoon Nokose,

you mean Kittel's claim on his last day is his official 267th kill ?
If that's true we need a suitable candidate claim for his 266th confirmed kill.

Have a nice day,

Michael
Old 19th June 2020, 12:20
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Hello Knusel,

Since the Luftwaffe stopped confirming victory claims in late 1944 from all the information that I have read in previous books, there was no “official” confirmation. So any confirmation was probably at the Jagdgeschwader level and in the pilot flugbuch. There seems to have been a lot of claims in flight books that were denied for lack of a witness. I have read about Soviet aircraft shot down by Bf 109 but no matching German claim. So the possibility of a claim being written into Kittel’s flugbuch is possible. After death claims though could be only symbolic or maybe possibly real.
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:18
Alter Hase

Hello Nokose,

yes, what we need is his Flugbuch.

When he died, was there a newspaper headline like "...Otto Kittel, victor in 265/266/267 air combats died yesterday…" ?

Cheers,

Michael
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:33
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusel View Post
When he died, was there a newspaper headline like "...Otto Kittel, victor in 265/266/267 air combats died yesterday…" ?
This would be a good place where you could look: http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/an...m=1945&zoom=33
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:23
Alter Hase

Good morning,

I found no Otto Kittel death announcement in the February issues.
Meanwhile, I started working through the article which is very enjoyable to read. I found a minor typo on page2: The Eichenlaub and the Golden Oak Leaves are two different levels of the Ritterkreuz and the correct translation should simply "Oak Leaves".

Cheers,

Michael
Old 17th July 2020, 00:31

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
This would be a good place where you could look: http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/an...m=1945&zoom=33
..great resource , thanks for that. It's possible to do a daily search which will bring up every scanned Zeitung, Zeitschrift, Heft, Illustrierte for a particular date which in many cases can be 40-50 different titles...
Old 17th July 2020, 08:16
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

What I’ve found is that multiple papers will publish basically the same (centrally approved) article but sometimes some of them have a fuller version than others.
Old 9th August 2020, 20:37
Alter Hase

The victor over Kittel was Vadim Petrovich Komendat. Was is it only aerial victory ?
Old 10th August 2020, 04:07

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi Michael,

He claimed three enemy aircraft in the air and five on the ground (source: http://airaces.narod.ru/all15/komendan.htm). Type his name in Google, Вадим Петрович Комендат, and you'll come up with plenty of information about him.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com